Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Garrett 1863 Sharps?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I'd rather not see yet another social media site impose arbitrary rules that restrict people who are not doing anything either illegal nor immoral with their firearms.

But from what I'm gathering, this particular transaction misunderstanding doesn't have anything to do with defarbing. It appears, based on Yakiman's previous posts and this post, that neither the buyer nor the seller fully understood what they had, which sounds like it might be a legitimate put-together by someone using Garrett parts.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    It is interesting to note that both the barrel and tang are stamped with the same serial number. If this is a put-together, someone went to a lot of trouble.

Steve
    Not only the bbl and tang, the lock, the breech block, the lever, the lock, the buttstock and even the removable chamber sleeve are identically numbered.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    Looks to me like the receiver, lock, trigger, barrel band, block and lever, saddle ring and butt plate all belong together. The case coloring appears consistent with the Garretts I've seen. Either somebody did a really good job of aligning the index marks on a replacement barrel or this is an example of one of the guns Frank claimed to exist. BTW, I know the OP isn't an N-SSA member, but I'm pretty sure that rear sight was altered and would not be legal for use in our competitions.
    The flip up portion of the rear sight was very thin and the elevation bar had no detents - it was bent so it made kind of a friction fit up to about 350yds, tab one side broke so I ordered a new sight. It's the exact same one on my Pedersoli 1859 - is that one also illegal? What should it have?

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakiman View Post
    The flip up portion of the rear sight was very thin and the elevation bar had no detents - it was bent so it made kind of a friction fit up to about 350yds, tab one side broke so I ordered a new sight. It's the exact same one on my Pedersoli 1859 - is that one also illegal? What should it have?
    I don’t believe the detents and set screw arrangement are legal for use in competition. It was not a feature of the original Sharps sight, but I would defer to someone with more expertise like John Holland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Visitor
    The date code on my Garret is on the left side of the barrel right above the four-arm. Weather it's a true Garret or not by, the looks of the picture, seven hundred dollars doesn't seem to much. You'll pay more than that for a true Garret. I know I would not sell the one I have for $700.00
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I'd like to thank all who've replied here as it helps me to gain more knowledge of these particular firearms. Starting a new endeavor at the age of 70 can be a bit daunting. My description of the gun as a "Garrett" was based solely on the fact that it was built with a fully operational Lawrence Primer system and I was told no one else made them.
    Last edited by Yakiman; 04-06-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    I don't remember seeing Ron's post but even if it was a Palmetto Arms Sharp's it isn't a Garrett as advertised.
    It may be like a Garrett but it isn't a Garrett.

Also, there are no Palmetto Arms markings on the carbine.
    Thanks for the date code sheet and you are correct that it’s not exactly a Garrett. I was only trying tell you that it may not be exactly under the circumstances you thought. To many things match and appear to fall in line with words shared by the man who’s name adorns the gun you were intending on buying. I don’t know you or the seller and have no dog in this fight. I just thought my experience with him that day would help shed some light on what you may potentially have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I do not believe it has been "Defarbed" for a couple of reasons. One of which is the overall factory condition of all of the parts, the other is that I have seen Pedersoli stampings that are the same as the one shown here, light and incomplete.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The puzzling thing is all parts are stamped with the same serial number, it's 6 L&G and has the pellet primer system. Who knows how long after Pedersoli got Franks tooling and left over parts they put the last gun together.
    For $700 that gun is a deal as you can't put one together for near that money. Last Garrett I saw sold for $1300
    Myself with easily 700+ internet deals I've been screwed three times. Twice the seller honestly thought it was the real deal and once the seller faked it. None gave a refund. Even though they were not what they were suppose to be I easily resold them with correct description and got my money back and a tad more.
    When Parker Hale sold the Enfield tooling the Italians continued to put together "Enfields" with left over parts for years. They got a chit load of English barrels in the deal. I guess transition gun happen.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!