Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Garrett 1863 Sharps?

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    @ P.Altland - Could have been one made from left over parts but I doubt that happened 5 or so years after Frank left the market. The basic carbine was made in 1992.
    Last edited by 762x51; 04-06-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words and made corrections
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Looks to me like the receiver, lock, trigger, barrel band, block and lever, saddle ring and butt plate all belong together. The case coloring appears consistent with the Garretts I've seen. Either somebody did a really good job of aligning the index marks on a replacement barrel or this is an example of one of the guns Frank claimed to exist. BTW, I know the OP isn't an N-SSA member, but I'm pretty sure that rear sight was altered and would not be legal for use in our competitions.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I'm the seller. I bought the carbine two months ago right off this site. I've no knowledge of these guns other that what I can find on the internet and what I'm told by more experienced shooters. The gun had a Lawrence priming system and I was told the only ones made that way were Garrett's. I made an inquiry to Pedersoli before I bought it and they told me it wasn't theirs as all their Sharps serial numbers start with SH.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yakiman; 04-06-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    @ P.Altland - Could have been one made from left over parts but I doubt that happened +/- 20 years after Frank left the market. The basic carbine was made in 1992.
    Not 20 years. In a previous post Ron has told you that he bought his Palmetto Arms Garrett in 85/86. So that's only 6 years after his. Does anyone know what the date code is of the last Palmetto Arms Garrett?
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Here is a link to the ad and I will post the response from Pedersoli when I receive it.

https://www.armslist.com/posts/80326...sharps-carbine
    Last edited by 762x51; 04-06-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words and made corrections
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    Not 20 years. In a previous post Ron has told you that he bought his Palmetto Arms Garrett in 85/86. So that's only 6 years after his. Does anyone know what the date code is of the last Palmetto Arms Garrett?
    There are no Palmetto Arms markings on the carbine.
    Last edited by 762x51; 10-28-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words and made corrections

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    Here is a link to his ad and I will post the response from Pedersoli when I receive it.
    Again, relying on Frank's words at the time, there was some legalese involved, on his part, with these unauthorized guns . Maybe Pedersoli won't be quick to claim it. Also of note, my Garretts both start with a C in the serial number.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    It is interesting to note that both the barrel and tang are stamped with the same serial number. If this is a put-together, someone went to a lot of trouble.

Steve

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Ron,

Where do you find the date codes? Mine are AD and Al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Paul,

The barrel has 6 lands and groves and here is a table of Italian firearm date codes:

Name:  Italian Shooting Date Codes.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  63.6 KB