Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying an Enfield

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Help Identifying an Enfield

I have a two band Enfield that seems to be closest to a P1856 Sergeant's Rifle but has some significant differences. The butt plate, trigger bow, and nose piece are brass, not iron mountings. The rear swivel is 3.5" ahead of the butt plate and the rear sight is 7.5" from the rear of the barrel and is graduated to 1,000 yards. The lock is marked 'Tower 1862'. It is definitely not the Naval Model. The barrel has three lands and grooves and it is not as heavy as the Naval Model and it is 33 inches in length. It is stamped '25' on the barrel so it is 58 caliber. I have a detailed book on the P53 Enfield and its history and I can't identify it there either. Did any group in the US spec a gun like this during the War?
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Enfield

What are the lock markings inside.

Team:
    10395V
    Region:
    Two names are in block letters on the inside of the lock plate; 'SARGANT' and "IDDOMS'.
    Jim Wimbish

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    It may help if you would be able to post some photos.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I forget the exact number but many of the early Navy rifles were fitted with barrels having 3-groove rifling because there were some 8,000 such barrels had been manufactured before the 5-groove rifling was adopted, and rather than the government throwing the 3-groove barrels away, they were mated up to the new pattern brass-mounted Navy rifle until the stock was exhausted. The earlier regulation pattern P/56 Army rifles were iron-mounted, but we find almost as many non-regulation pattern with brass-mountings or mixed mountings that were shipped to his country.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You might have an Indian Army "Sergeants Pattern Fusil." These were made in England for export to India. These fusils took a regular P-53 Enfield bayonet, hence the bayonet locked around the front sight, just like it did on the P-53. So, if there is the absence of a bayonet stud on the right side of the barrel (like on a P-58 Naval Rifle) that is an indication that you might have a Sergeants Fusil.

IF you do have a Sergeants Pattern Fusil, be aware that in early 1861 the State of Georgia purchased a quantity of those rifles, they were imported into the state they were issued to Georgia troops, early in the war.

Team:
    10395V
    Region:
    Here are some pix that I took of the gun. The lock is dated 1862. Note this is the first time that I have been able to load photos this big up to our website. Yeah!!!

After reviewing "The British Soldier's Firearm" again, the gun looks to be a Sergeant's Pattern Fusil. It is definitely not a short rifle or a naval rifle. The rear swivel is mounted further back than the short rifle, and the forestock extends to a point on the barrel consistent with the Sargeant's Pattern Fusil. It might be one of those Georgia guns that Southron mentions in his post.

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  333.9 KBName:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  280.7 KBName:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  632.0 KBName:  DSC_0004.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  750.3 KBName:  DSC_0005.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  811.1 KB
    Last edited by Jim Wimbish, 10395; 03-23-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Jim Wimbish

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Enfield

http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/sh...productid=1603

Jim

The attached link looks to me like the same gun you were asking about. It is from the archives of College Hill Arsenal and Tim (as usual) has written an interesting history. No clue what the asking price was or what it sold for.

Dan mastin

Team:
    10395V
    Region:
    Dan,

I would agree with you that is the same model of the Enfield. However, mine is in much better condition and lacks all of the markings that make it a valuable Georgia marked gun. There is no serial number, no 'G' and no JS anchor. Also, mine was made in Birmingham, not London. The fit and finish on my gun are excellent. You have to really work to get the lock plate out. The fit is really outstanding. The only difference that I noted is the placement of the rear screw on the trigger bow. Mine is closer to the end. Not a big difference. My barrel is exactly 33 inches. it is not long or short by 1/4 to 1/2 inch as Tim indicates in his write up. The gun I have was lightly used. The ramrod channel is nearly perfect and clearly didn't see much use. This gun was carried by some one who wasn't called upon to shoot very often. It would be interesting to know about other contracts to import the Sergeant's Pattern Fusil, because that is clearly what this gun is. It would have been a nice gun for an artillery unit. Plus it would fit the socket bayonet and not require the sabre bayonet.
    Jim Wimbish

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    If you can pick up a copy of Christopher Roads 1964) The British Soldier's Firearm: 1850-1864, the author describes your rifle on the bottom of page 110 and top of 111, just as Southron Sr. noted. It's a Sergeant's Fusil, Rifled, Pattern 1856, ordered from Birmingham contractors, and intended for issue to the sergeant's of native Indian regiments. Only 8,198 were delivered out of the 10,000 contracted. These rifles were stocked closer to the muzzle than rifles fitted for sword bayonet because they were fitted with socket bayonets having a larger socket to fit the muzzle.
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 03-30-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66