Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauging Interest in a .58 Cal Gardner Reproduction mold

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Interest in a .58 Cal Gardner Reproduction mold (drawings are done)

Updated with info, no need to scroll all the way down

Well good news we are back on track LOL. Just got the drawings back from NOE for it, in order to get it made we only need 10 people to roger up for it. Or 9 since obviously I am one of em. Hopefully between here andsome other sites as well as a couple facebook groups we should be able to get this thing finally going. I wish they could make an flanged bullet as this would also cross over to the Living history groups.

Also the base will be .573 not .593
    If you are interested, here is a link to the NOE website where you can sign up for the group buy

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=2899.0

Ladies and Gentlemen, I come to the professionals of the BP shooting world. This post has been cross posted on a few forums like NOE and Cast Bullits as well as a few facebook sites.

"Years ago Dean Thomas had built for him a reproduction of the Confederate Gardner machine. he also had a custom nose pour mold made.

IFor those that may not be familiar with it, it had a lead "flange" that as the bullet was formed after casting would cause it to grip the paper that would hold the powder. It was a good idea in theory but the field use showed that it weakened the paper and it would rip where the bullet began spilling powder.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, while at a Relic show I found a unformed and formed bullet made from this mold. As both a Civil war Nut, Relic hunter, Black powder shooter, and Bullet caster, I snagged it up as I had been looking for an example to potentially have a mold made.

Is there Anyone else interested in possibly getting a mold made? I will send in these 2 examples for measurements. I will also send in a actual dug Civil war Gardner for original measurements as well."

Also I ask of you, would it be better to make a mold that has the flange on it to form similar to the original, or would a Gardner style (aka a formed bullet) be better?

Name:  Repro Gardner.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  59.0 KBName:  N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_568-570-RF_HB.Jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  16.8 KBName:  N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_.568-570-RF_HB_Sketch.Jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  149.8 KB
    Last edited by noonanda; 11-04-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: updated with pictures of mold drawing and ready to get names intersted

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I would be interested with one with a flange, if there were a swaging tool of some kind available to form it after the paper tube is attached. I would like to do this just for historical reasons.

I would not be interested in a "pre-formed" version.

Steve

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I would be interested with one with a flange, if there were a swaging tool of some kind available to form it after the paper tube is attached.

Steve
    Arbor press and a regular sizing die
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    Arbor press and a regular sizing die
    I have a Sizing die that I bought somewhere that is threaded and set up to use in a regular single stage reloading press. I have a Hornady L&L single stage that i use it with. The sizing die might need to be beveled slightly to form the flange/paper crimp without cracking it.

this is the sizing die I have
    http://www.lodgewood.com/Precision-S...er_p_1605.html
    Last edited by noonanda; 03-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Mold

With the flange. I'd definitely consider one . G Pope WBR

Team:
    Chartiers Valley Guard
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I would take one without the flange ready to size and shoot
    Jesse

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    About 15 or so years ago, Greg Editingtom had Lee Moulds make up a fair number of moulds that produced a Gardner bullet in .58 caliber without the flange. He sold these moulds to N-SSA members and others.

These moulds produced accurate bullets. Lee might even still have the programming used to produce the Gardnet moulds for Edington in their program archives.

The reason Gardner rounds were dropped by the Confederacy was that when the rounds were carried in the cartridge boxes of marching tfroops on warm Summer days, the lube on the bullet partially melted and soaked into the cartridge papers, weakening them and causing the cartridges to fall apart.

So in battle, when a soldier reached in his cartridge box to get another round to load, often as not, he would find a sticky mass of black powder, bullets and bits of lube soaked cartridge paper in his cartridge box.

As for selling a modern mould that cast a bullet with a flange, it would have to be sold with a sizer that fit into a single stage reloading press and a ram that would push the flanged bullet through the sizing die to not only size the bullet, but to turn down the flange and attach the paper cylinder to the bullet.

Flanged Gardner bullets cast in .58 Caliber could be used in Rifle-Muskets after the bullet flange was turned down, sized and the paper powder cylinder attached.

Flanged Gradner bullets cast in ,52 caliber could be sold to Sharps shooters to be used to make combustible cartridges used in Sharps rifles and carbines.

Flanged Gardner bullets cast in .44 and .36 calibers could be used to make combustible revolver cartridges IF the BOD ever legalizes the use of combustible cartridges in N-SSA revolver competition.

In other words, bullet moulds that cast a flanged Gardner bullets in various calibers would produce a versatile bullet that could be used for a variety of purposes.

Team:
    Region:
    Al at NOE is making the drawing as we speak. Bad news is he said he can't make the unformed/ flanged bullet, but just having s mold to cast Gardner style bullets is still pretty good to me. If you all are interested head over to the NOE page

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Greg's Gardner mold had the original base cavity shape and it wanted a pretty stout charge to shoot it's best. You might want to enlarge the base pin a bit for skirmishing.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    So, WHY can't NOE make a Gardner WITH the flange? It isn't that hard.

Yup, I would buy a Gardner WITH the flange just to encourage your and NOE's enterprise.

The Sharps shooters would probably buy a lot of .52 Caliber flanged Gardners as that would alleviate the drudgery of making up combustible cartridges for their Sharps.