Thread: Dixie's 1854 Lorenz info

Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Dixie's 1854 Lorenz info

I see that Dixie Gun Works sells a copy of the 54 Lorenz short rifle which is manufactured in the Czech Republic/Arms-Moravia. Has anyone had any experience with these rifles? I see their approved by SAC. How good is the quality? Are the stock barrels any good? I was wondering how they would do with a moose compression type bullet. Tax man was good to me this year and Dixie had the gun on sale, I just want some input before I decide to pull the trigger..

Scott Fisher
    1st Maine

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    The Arms Moravia "Lorenz" retailed in the U.S. by Dixie was a copy of the Muster 1854 Jägerstutzen, rather than the more common Muster 1854, Type I and II, infantry rifle. Back when the Skirmish Line actually published articles on Civil War firearms, history, and shooting, I submitted an article entitled "Making the Dixie Lorenz Jaeger Shoot," which was published in Skirmish Line, Vol. 50, No. 4, October-December 2005, pp. 31-5. The bottom line was that the rifle was a gunsmithing kit in a box.

If you can find one of the rifles and do the smithing necessary to make it work [the locks and bedding are particularly problematic] - they shoot System Lorenz bullets - so called "Wilkinson" bullets - from Greg Edington's Lee manufacutred moulds or Moose moulds like a dream. I've made posts here over the years about properly preparing/loading System Lorenz bullets. You might also want to run a forum search for them. I made a number of three gun Distinguished Skirmisher points over the years with my Jäger, won the grand aggregate once, and was second twice Despite the other problems, the barrels were pretty good.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V

Region:

Lorenz

Thanks Don, Ill think on it.

Scott

Region:
    Visitor
    Scott
    I have a Dixie Moravia Arms Muster 1854 Jajerstutzen that I bought off of a team mate when I belonged to McGregor's. Bobby Holt told me that the metal the barrels where made of was a little on the soft side and that I should reline it to 58cal. But I wanted to keep it 54cal. So I wanted to see if I could get it to shoot decent groups before I relined it. At first I could not get it to shoot a decent group to save my sole. The first thing I did was I sent to Buffalo Arms and got a M/8 1.25 Italian nipple ( I thinks this was the main problem ) I then sent to The Rifle Shoppie and got a new main spring, sear and tumbler. I fitted, polish, harden and tempered them. Then I glass beaded the barrel the length of the stock. There was a Eddyton bullet mold that came with the gun but I wanted to try a regular 54cal minne, so I sent for a Lyman 54225 mold. I then tried to work up a load. It took a number of trips to the range. But I finely got it to shoot decent groups. The Lyman 54225 with 43 grs. of 3f Goex will shoot around a one inch group at 50 yards off the bench. The Eddington witch is like the Wilkinson bullet with 43.5grs. of 3f Goex shoots the best, it will shoot a one inch group at 50yds. off the bench. I hope this helps you out.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron The Old Reb; 02-26-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Scott - I don't know where you are looking, but the 2017 Dixie Catalog doesn't list the Arms Moravia short rifle. In fact, Arms Moravia quit producing them many years ago. Dixie had one in their booth at Sutler's Row about 5-6 years ago, and at that time they said it was the last one they had.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    They have a couple on their website that show "in stock." There's one for $600 that's "slightly used, missing rear sight". Which makes one wonder. But they show a new one for $650 also. I always thought those Lorenz were good-looking guns, and wondered whether they'd shoot. Mr. Dixon makes me think they can, but as with many things, require skill and perseverance!

Cheers
    Jim B.
    Grove City, OH

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    OK, I understand now, Dixie has been cleaning out the corners of their warehouse recently, which is how they had some of their old Tennessee full stocks recently in one of their flyers. When people called about them they found out that they were old stock of ones and twos.

Region:

Dixie Lorenz

Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    OK, I understand now, Dixie has been cleaning out the corners of their warehouse recently, which is how they had some of their old Tennessee full stocks recently in one of their flyers. When people called about them they found out that they were old stock of ones and twos.
    John, I was looking for Lorenz for a team mate and did internet search at Dixie, They have them on sale for $650. My team mate actually wants the Lorenz rife that Pedersoli is putting out. I think ill save my tax money and invest in lead and powder..lol

Scott

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

New muster 1854

This thread got me to searching the Dixie site and they have the new Pedersoli Muster 1854 rifle listed at $1500.00 but not in stock. So now we know what the price is going to be. you are going to really want one at that level.

Region:

lorenz

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Weems View Post
    This thread got me to searching the Dixie site and they have the new Pedersoli Muster 1854 rifle listed at $1500.00 but not in stock. So now we know what the price is going to be. you are going to really want one at that level.
    Yes I originally thought it was a pedersoli, but there were 2 Lorenz short Jaeger type for sale, one has since been sold. They have one slightly used one for $600. I think ill stay with my Mississippi.

Scott