Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Zouave?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Why the Zouave?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just getting started in N-SSA and am only curious. How did the Zouave get to be an approved musket? From all I read, they were never used anywhere during the Civil War. They seem to be available just about everywhere and at prices considerably less than other CW arms and that price makes them attractive to someone, like me, who is just getting into this activity. But, if I go that route then I'm equipping myself with the gun that never was. How'd it get on the list?

Team:
    6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry
    4938V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Zouave use

Very good post, but unless I am wrong, I believe there was several found on some battlefields.......please correct me if I am wrong, but surely to be an approved firearm this issue has been approached........never the less, if you desire to join ouf great organization, please don't let this deter you.........

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    From a 2013 post by Southron Sr

BAck in the "Days of Yore" when the N-SSA was first starting out, the ONLY arms available were originals. Then in 1957 Val Forgett formed Navy Arms and began importing replica '51 Navy Revolvers from Italy.

About the same time, original Remington Model 1863's (what we call Zouaves today) were available for around $20.00 each in "Mint" condition. Why were they in "Mint" condition? Because the government had accempted them from the production line at Remington and then immediately sent them to warehouses where they remained for the next century.

Yes, yes, yes, there is the possibility that a few did get issued out OR maybe Reminton sold some of the overrun to the states for their militias. Unfortunately, no documentation has been found.

Flash forward to the 1950's and the ORIGINAL ZOUAVES quickly gained a reputation as superb shooters in the N-SSA.

So, Val Forgett purchased one in "Mint" condition and sent it to Italy and had it put into production. Hence, the replica Zouave was the FIRST replica of a percussion Civil War long arm.

When the replicas arrived in the U.S. from Italy Val Forgett had a "Marketing" problem to solve and this he did in a brilliant manner.

He couldn't call the replica's "Remington Model 1863 Rifles" because he would have probably gotten sued by Remington. The name "Remington" is copywrighted by the company and they don't loan it out!

So, Mr. Forgett named his replicas of the Remington Model 1863 "ZOUAVE RIFLES.!!!" The Zouaves from the Civil War era dressed in colorful uniforms and were often considered "Elite" troops.

So, that is how the Zouave Rifle got its name, almost a hundred years AFTER the Civil War was over!!! Thanks to the marketing campaign that Mr. Forgett launched around 1961.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I want a time machine so I can go get myself a $20 original mint Remington 1863.

Steve

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I believe the rule is one side or the other had to have purchased at least 100 of an individual arm to qualify. Doesn't say it had to be issued. The US purchased 12,000 Remington 1863's
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Yakiman,

No one said, so let me be the first, Welcome!!!

Where about are you located? I'm sure lots of N-SSA members in your area would be delighted to talk with you about joining.

Mike Bodner
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Shoot this weekend in Columbia, Pa.

Yakiman,

This is a shot in the dark. If you live in Southeast Pa. or Northern Maryland, you might want to attend a gun show/ shoot at Columbia Fish and Game Association in Columbia, Pa this weekend(Sunday only) from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. The gun show is heavily tilted towards Rev, F and I, and Mountain Man impression but a local NSSA group will hold a demonstration of NSSA style shooting. I hope to be there, and I/We will guided you through this event. Bring your Zouave and hopefully it will pass inspection and you can shoot live rounds at breakable targets. If not, you can shoot my NSSA approved musket and may be break some targets with us. Food is available for sale and indoor/ outdoor plumbing available and free parking. PS I am too old to shoot in the rain but others do.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    3rd US
    3626v
    Middle Atlantic Regional Inspector/ Mentor/ Recruiter.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    I believe the rule is one side or the other had to have purchased at least 100 of an individual arm to qualify. Doesn't say it had to be issued. The US purchased 12,000 Remington 1863's
    I believe there is at least one that doesn’t meet that rule. It has 2-bands and starts with the word Amoskeg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I, too, would like to welcome "Yakiman" to our forum! You have said you are just getting started in the N-SSA, does that mean you are now a member? I only ask because if you are a member there are other ways of assisting you. However, if you are not a member, that's OK, too, because we will still do our utmost to help you with N-SSA type shooting! Your question about the use of Remington M-1863 Rifle in the N-SSA is best answered by the N-SSA's Rules, specifically 19.1 (c) as follows:

19.1 ACCEPTABLE SKIRMISH MATCH FIREARMS

a. Only original or reproductions of military firearms manufactured during the Civil War or prewar era, and which meet the criteria set forth in these rules, shall be used for competition.

b. Those arms must have been manufactured prior to 26 April 1865 in quantities of at least 100 arms each.

c. The arms must have been possessed by a US, CS, state, or local military authority during the American Civil War, but they do not need to have been issued to troops in the field.

If you have any other Small Arms questions I would be more than happy to attempt to answer them for you!

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Staff Officer
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:

Found "Zouave"

Quote Originally Posted by 2kycav View Post
    Very good post, but unless I am wrong, I believe there was several found on some battlefields.......please correct me if I am wrong, but surely to be an approved firearm this issue has been approached........never the less, if you desire to join ouf great organization, please don't let this deter you.........

I am digging back in the grey matter some years here. I remember being in the Winchester Sutler's old store one evening with a bunch of guys and the subject of the Remington 63 came up. Someone, I'm not sure who, commented that the remains of at least one had been excavated during some work in the area of the crater at Petersburg. Someone may know more!

Bill Shuey