Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Zouave?

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I'm fairly sure In know who it was who brought it up. So far it has only been a folklore legend because the excavated parts have never shown up anywhere, either as the artifacts themselves, or in an official report. The best guess from others is that the parts were actually from a Georgia Armory Rifle. The brass parts from a Georgia Armory Rifle, by themselves, could be easily confused with the brass parts of a Remington 1863 Rifle by someone who may not know the subtle differences between them.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Gaul View Post
    Yakiman,

This is a shot in the dark. If you live in Southeast Pa. or Northern Maryland, you might want to attend a gun show/ shoot at Columbia Fish and Game Association in Columbia, Pa this weekend(Sunday only) from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. The gun show is heavily tilted towards Rev, F and I, and Mountain Man impression but a local NSSA group will hold a demonstration of NSSA style shooting. I hope to be there, and I/We will guided you through this event. Bring your Zouave and hopefully it will pass inspection and you can shoot live rounds at breakable targets. If not, you can shoot my NSSA approved musket and may be break some targets with us. Food is available for sale and indoor/ outdoor plumbing available and free parking. PS I am too old to shoot in the rain but others do.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    3rd US
    3626v
    Middle Atlantic Regional Inspector/ Mentor/ Recruiter.
    That's a generous offer, thank you. But I'm a long way from there (central Ohio).

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    There are lots of skirmishes in Ohio!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

1863 Remingtons at Appomattox?

Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    I'm fairly sure In know who it was who brought it up. So far it has only been a folklore legend because the excavated parts have never shown up anywhere, either as the artifacts themselves, or in an official report. The best guess from others is that the parts were actually from a Georgia Armory Rifle. The brass parts from a Georgia Armory Rifle, by themselves, could be easily confused with the brass parts of a Remington 1863 Rifle by someone who may not know the subtle differences between them.
    over the years i have seen comments here and around the campfire that a CSA regiment surrendered some Remington rifles at Appomattox Courthouse. I have never seen the documentation of this but if any here knows where it can be found i would like to see it. the weapons where supposed to have been recorded by make/type.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Yakiman,

I'm in Grove City, OH-- south side of Columbus. My local muzzleloader range is 5 minutes away, if you'd like to try a few guns out some time let me know-- PM or email (address below). Letting folks try out the guns, and seeing their grins, is *almost* as much fun as skirmishing!
    FWIW, I made it out to the range today... not bad for February!

Cheers

Jim B.
    Grove City, OH
    email: jimmyangst@gmail.com

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Steve Weems - The "Remington Rifles" surrendered would have been the M-1841 Remington contract rifles. As an example, South Carolina had received quite few from the Remington contract deliveries that were dated 1853.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Remington rifels

Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Steve Weems - The "Remington Rifles" surrendered would have been the M-1841 Remington contract rifles. As an example, South Carolina had received quite few from the Remington contract deliveries that were dated 1853.
    Thanks John— that puts the old rumor to rest.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Hallo!

Centerburg, OH skirmishes are about as "central" Ohio as one can get.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Hallo!

The Remington 1862 contract called for 10,000 to be made. 10,001 were delivered in batches to the Watervliet Arsenal between April 1863 and January 1864.

There they sat.

They all were still sitting there when inventoried in May of 1866.

10,000 were purchased in August 1907 by Bannerman for .54 each with their bayonets. (One appears to have disappeared.)

I have always been intrigued by the one odd one that was listed as being received in the October 1863 batch of 1,001. It appears to have been the "sample" or prototype used to set the inspection criteria.
    Yes, it was late. But the Government looked the other way on the Remingtons as they were a contract violation and not what was supposed to have been made.

Remington did not always do a good job. Possibly to keep then happy... rather than reject them, 703 were accepted but docked
    .10 off the price of $17.00 each for faults and listing them as "second class arms."

For many years, early in the N-SSA if one was not shooting an original or re-barrelled original the only repro long arm out there was the late 1950's "Zouave" for many years until the Navy Arms' "M1864" RM was approved for 1975.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    12, 501 were made, so what happened to the other 2500 if 10,001 were delivered?