Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitworth Match?

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Got to think the sniper thing, shooting off some sort of rest, would be a big draw.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Naw......the Big guns are the "Big draw" in the N-SSA and I've used them alomst every time to get folks to come to Nationals and get them signed up. They are a main stay and have to stay on Saturday. Have Long Range Wednesday and I'll come early and shoot with you.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The longest reasonable distance you are going to get at "The Fort" is 200 yards, and that's hardly "Long Range" for Volunteer and Whitworth Rifles.

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    That's true, but you can always increase the difficulty by making the targets smaller.
    Glenn M. Kaye
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Long range Match

We did this event unofficially for many years at a regional shoot, and awarded a small trophy as a prize. We built a rail fence on a wooded knoll and had competitors fire 10 rounds at a hanging steel dinger 240 yards down-range. Any pre-1865 firearm, military or civilian, was allowable, as all were used for sharpshooting during the War. Competitors turned up with 1st Model Maynards, carbines or every sort, a "heavy" .58 rifle with a Malcom scope, Spencer Rifles, Sharps Rifles, and of-course military rifles and rifle-muskets. I never saw a Whitworth. All proved competitive at that range. Shooters could take any position behind the fence and most rested on the fence. It was a fun shoot, perfect for a laid-back regional. I would not, however, favor doing this at a National, as these skirmishes are already way too busy.
    Jim Leinicke- Western Region

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    There is a Long Range match sponsored by the LRML coming up on the Thursday and Friday before Easter weekend at Oak Ridge, TN, but the course of fire starts at 200 yards, and includes legs at 300, 600, and 1,000 yards. Most shooters are using original Whitworths but there are some using Pedersoli Gibbs in .451 and .453, and we had one shooter two years ago using a repro Kerr. He did okay up to 600 but he was nowhere near the paper at 1,000 yard. All of these rifles are shot with vernier tang sights and globe front sights.

UPDATE:
    The Oak Ridge Sportsman Association (ORSA) has approved to host their 31st Long Range Muzzleloading Match, a 2 day event on March 29 & 30, 2018 (Wednesday-Thursday) just prior to Easter weekend. Targets are typical NRA HP targets.
    This is a traditional (percussion) ML match that aligns with the NMLRA & MLAIC. Nearly every original match rifles such as Whitworth, Rigby, Henry, Kerr, Turner, Gibbs, and more lesser named makers have been active participants. Pedersoli Gibbs is the most popular current rifle in production for this match. Shooters shooting 2 and 3 band Whitworths and Volunteer rifles have also been participants. This year's match is special because it is expected to host collectors displaying their original Whitworth rifles.

Videos from 2016
    http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/fo...ic.php?t=29737
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 03-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by R. McAuley 3014V View Post
    There is a Long Range match sponsored by the LRML coming up on the Thursday and Friday before Easter weekend at Oak Ridge, TN, but the course of fire starts at 200 yards, and includes legs at 300, 600, and 1,000 yards. Most shooters are using original Whitworths but there are some using Pedersoli Gibbs in .451 and .453, and we had one shooter two years ago using a repro Kerr. He did okay up to 600 but he was nowhere near the paper at 1,000 yard. All of these rifles are shot with vernier tang sights and globe front sights.
    Oak Ridge hosts this match every yr. I never shot it, but I was a member there for many yrs before I moved away 2 yrs ago.

Region:

31st Oak Ridge Long Range Muzzle loading Match (2018)

Just received the results from the 31st Oak Ridge Long Range Muzzle loading Match (2018 from Rick Weber, who writes:

Weather forecasting and shooting never mix well, it’s the main concern when shooters travel to destinations- certainly understanding. The Oak Ridge weather forecast was not good for day 1 and only better for the afternoon on day 2 – so, it was decided to shoot 200 and if we could get 600 in on day 1 we would. If we had to drop a range of shooting, I preferred to do so on the shorter distance of 300. 27 shooters in all showed up and it was good to see everyone again as well as some new shooters (Don Howe) and my hat is off to Laurie Kerr and John Stanton from New Zealand who came to participate.

Starting at 200, we did have a quick shower (5min) at 200 yards in both relays. Somehow, two shooters (Brent Danielson and Lee Shaver) shot 100-5x each followed closely by a 99 (Laurie Kerr) and with a few 98’s right behind them. I believe every one of us and all our gear were wet, but no one complained or stopped (we’ll I did, for about 5 minutes thinking – “I’m not shooting in this” more worried about my rifle than myself), only to resume after it stopped to complete my 10 record shots within the 1 hour relay.

In the afternoon on day 1 at 600, the clouds were low and the wind was high – but no rain, yet! Brent D. shot the top score of 88 followed closely again by Laurie K. withan 85. We were able to get both relaysin and headed to the club house.
    What a sight to see at the clubhouse. I had asked some of the shooters to bring their original Whitworth’s and Alex Henry’s as Tom Rowe wanted to take photographs for an upcoming Whitworth book and we recently found that Alex Henry’s 200th Birthday is in June (more on that later). I counted 16 Whitworths, 15 Alex Henry’s and 4 other ML rifles by other makers. What makes this so great to me is that nearly all these rifles are still being shot (or have been shot in recent years) they are not just hid away..

Yes, they are worth bookoo $$$ but they were made to shoot –all of them. Someone gave the display the nickname “Museum at Oak Ridge”, I’d have to agree because rifle for rifle it compared (actually exceeded) most museums I’ve been to.
    Dinner was catered and we few nearly 50 people as wife’s, relatives and guest came to socialize.

To me, this is another great part about shooting – the people. Some who attended were past their shooting times and just wanted to visit and catch up- life is good when you can shoot, eat, handle nice original pieces of history and visit with old friends!

Thursday was cloudy and temps started near 50 (about 15 degrees cooler), but the wind was still around. We picked up at 300 since theforecast was good for the day and we would be about to get the entire matchshot. Ray Hopkins toped the score of 94-1x at 300 with a slew of people right behind him in the 90’s. Moving to 1000 showed how things can change. Although Dave Munch was the top 1000 yard shooter with a 76, he unfortunately had problems at 600 or he’d been in the hunt. Ray Hopkins posted a 71 to Brent’s 61 allowing Ray to claim The Championship as only 2 points separated them..

Congrats to both shooters.

This year I wanted to expand the match to include a Volunteer Rifle style rifle match – basically a Military style rifle with fixed military front with a rather basic rear sight on the barrel compared to the Vernier used on the LR Match rifles. There are a lot of Parker Hale rifles thatfit this category that I hope will consider attending. Myself and Al Roberts both shot original Alex Henry Volunteer rifles and Mike Pifer shot his Parker Hale. This match ends at 600 yards due to the sight configuration.

Thanks to all who participated and supports our ability todo so.

Rick Weber
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 04-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    A very nice report. Thank you for sharing it with us Richard.

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    A very nice report. Thank you for sharing it with us Richard.
    And for those who think you cannot shoot 1,000 yards standing and hit a target...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3BUnHiv6AA