Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canceling the Spencer Match??

Team:
    Battery H, First Regt. Ill. Vol. Light Artillery
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Canceling the Spencer Match??

Has any one else heard the rumor of canceling the Spencer Match at Nationals? Even though it has few teams, we Spencer shooters thoroughly enjoy this unique event!

Stan

Battery H, 1st ILL Light Artillery

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    You mean, now that you have started the rumor?
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    # 2026
    Region:

Rumor

Lou , is this your sense of rumor humor?

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    For questions like this you should contact your Region Commanders prior to the upcoming Board of Directors Meeting.

Dave Booz 1832V is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Company C, 2nd United States Sharpshooters
    1832V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Thank you for asking about the Spencer match. In the A package for the Board of Directors January meeting there is a recommendation to cancel the Spencer match due to a lack of participation and growth in that match. However, this is just a recommendation in a report.

I am going to ask the Board to take a comprehensive look at the format of the nationals and see if it can be improved. Over the years we have added team matches to the schedule but have not taken anything away except some time to shoot individual targets. I believe that it is way past time to examine the schedule and see if we should make any changes. I hope to form a committee to look into this and to report back to the Board in August. This will give time for every region to have input. I will ask the committee to look at the schedule from a "big picture" point of view and for it to recommend whatever is necessary to improve the schedule. This MIGHT mean that some team match would be moved to a different time or day. It MIGHT mean that some team match would only be held once a year and not at every national.

Please read the above carefully. I am not saying that the entire schedule will be destroyed. I am saying that it is time to look at the schedule to see if we can improve it. The January Board meeting is a week and a half away so please feel free to come to it and see how the Board works. Thank you.

Dave

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Booz 1832V View Post
    I am going to ask the Board to take a comprehensive look at the format of the nationals and see if it can be improved. Over the years we have added team matches to the schedule but have not taken anything away except some time to shoot individual targets. I believe that it is way past time to examine the schedule and see if we should make any changes.
    Thank you. This is badly needed.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Battery H, First Regt. Ill. Vol. Light Artillery
    Region:
    Dave - Thank you for taking a good look at the overall schedule for nationals and taking the time to do it with input. I was concerned that this might be rushed especially since the interested party is "only" 4 Spencer teams.

I know the Spencer target distribution didn't go well this last Fall possibly because the Spencer Teams are many positions away from the Henry teams (not sure why we can't be adjacent to the Henry teams to make it easier). From a target distribution point of view, we are just 4 more "Henry" teams with our own timesheets and medal to win. I wondered how removing these 4 teams would improve the match time or significantly reduce the cost to N-SSA.

I'm out of town when the January Board meets. I contacted my regional and team commanders with these concerns and look forward to other opportunities to engage.

Thank you!
    Stan Jezior
    Battery H 1st Ill Lt Arty

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Another Spencer shooter here chiming in. I'm a huge fan of the Spencer match, and was delighted when we began shooting it. I think that it was long overdue. In my opinion, if anything, the N-SSA at the official level should be making an effort to encourage and expand the Spencer match! The Spencer rifle was a landmark invention, and one of the most significant developments of the Civil War. The N-SSA, more than any other organization, should have Spencer shooters!
    Glenn M. Kaye
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:

Team matches

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Booz 1832V View Post
    Thank you for asking about the Spencer match. In the A package for the Board of Directors January meeting there is a recommendation to cancel the Spencer match due to a lack of participation and growth in that match. However, this is just a recommendation in a report.

I am going to ask the Board to take a comprehensive look at the format of the nationals and see if it can be improved. Over the years we have added team matches to the schedule but have not taken anything away except some time to shoot individual targets. I believe that it is way past time to examine the schedule and see if we should make any changes. I hope to form a committee to look into this and to report back to the Board in August. This will give time for every region to have input. I will ask the committee to look at the schedule from a "big picture" point of view and for it to recommend whatever is necessary to improve the schedule. This MIGHT mean that some team match would be moved to a different time or day. It MIGHT mean that some team match would only be held once a year and not at every national.

Please read the above carefully. I am not saying that the entire schedule will be destroyed. I am saying that it is time to look at the schedule to see if we can improve it. The January Board meeting is a week and a half away so please feel free to come to it and see how the Board works. Thank you.

Dave
    Dave, I feel that alternating team matches between the spring and fall skirmishes might hurt participation rather than help. I travel a long way to go to both the spring and fall nationals and enjoy shooting in musket, carbine and repeater/ Spencer matches. The rest of my team also shoots revolver and smoothbore. It would be a shame to pull something out of this line up and only have some of these events only once a year.
    Please address this with the thought of teams that travel long distances to participate at the Fort twice a year an are unable to have weekly shoots there.

Regards,

Guenther (Guy) Brandes

Team:
    1st Regiment Engineer Troops
    9813V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Spencer Match

Watched the Spencer match at the fall nationals for the first time with a team mate. We really enjoyed what we saw and the fact that there was only a small group shooting did not take anything away from event. Been looking since then for one, and would consider shooting the event. Those guys are just as competitive as 50 positions of smooth-bore, which I shoot, and it sure is a fast paced competition, somewhat like the Henry.