Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best Minie' ball mold for live firing of Pedersoli 1861 Springfield

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    You can't really size a bullet bigger. Well, I have heard of folks squashing them in a die so that they swell up to fill the sizer, but generally sizers are to size down, not up.

I use dies from S&S Firearms that fit in my Lyman Lubrisizer. This allows me to lubricate and size in once step. However I have heard that S&S is having some difficulty getting sizers - not sure though.

Other folks make sizers, like Lodgewood Manufacturing.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I just cast my first Minies today with and I tried the fit to my gun and they are slightly too large to drop in. They should be able to drop in right?
    If so I will need to size them down some I think. Also the bullets came out pretty well shaped but the smooth surfaces have a little waviness in them. I used a hot setting on my Lee bottom pour pot. I am wondering if the mold was running too cool.
    Mike

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Wrinkles are a sign of either oil in the mould or mould too cool. Even with a good cleaning, a brand new mould may leech oil for the first 3-4 times you use it. Cast fast and don't take the time to QA between drops. That will get, and keep, your mould up to temperature. Do your QA inspection afterwards.

BTW, I get much more consistent results by using a ladle rather than using the bottom pour function of my pot. Bottom pour is fine for smaller bullets, but larger ones, especially minnies, do better for me when I ladle cast. Check and make sure you don't have voids up inside where the point of the core pin was. I had voids up in there on probably 75% of the ones I cast when I tried doing them with my bottom pour. Ladle casting all but solved that for me.
    Last edited by Hal; 06-05-2018 at 01:04 PM.