Thread: Paper cartridge in revolver

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Paper cartridge in revolver

I cannot find anything in the rules that say I cannont use paper cartridge in the revolver. It does prohibit one from using them in a muzzleloader but not revolver. I just wanted to make sure this is the case before I bring my paper cartridges out to the next shoot.

2. Re: Paper cartridge in revolver

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for asking this question although the rule does not specifically state the word revolver please understand that your revolver is a muzzleloading arm. You may not be loading the arm from the muzzle of the barrel but you are loading it from the muzzle of the cylinder not the breech, therefore the following rule does apply

17.6 CARTRIDGES

f. Cartridges for muzzleloading arms must consist of a cardboard or plastic cylinder,
    sealed on one end. No cartridge shall be employed that allows the ramrod to be
    pushed through the cylinder. No cartridge may be used that is designed to be set in
    place on, in, or around the muzzle.

Again thank you for question
    Wade Huffman
    National IG

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Re: Paper cartridge in revolver

Thanks for the reply I just wanted to find out for sure before I rolled up 100 rounds for my revolver that I cannont use. Good thing I asked :lol:

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Now I'm wondering about this rule. I see at least a handful of people on any given weekend during skirmish season using pre-made rolled paper cartridges for revolver. I understand the need for it for musket and carbine due to the potential for cook-offs while reloading during company matches, but there is no cylinder reloading during a revolver relay. Is this a misunderstood or misinterpreted rule?
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

[quote="P.Altland"]. I see at least a handful of people on any given weekend during skirmish season using pre-made rolled paper cartridges for revolver. t for musket and carbine quote]

That is supprising! I have shot revolver at skirmishes for 42 years now , and I have NEVER seen anyone using paper cartridges !
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Technically a percussion revolver IS NOT A "MUZZLELOADING" ARM because you DO NOT LOAD IT THRU THE MUZZLE! This is just basic logic.

You load percussion revolvers thru the "Chamber Mouth" and not the muzzle, so while I can see that the quoted rule would apply to, for example, to a Model 1855, single shot Pistol Carbine it shouldn't be "stretched" to include percussion revolvers.

What I am respectfully requesting is that the BOD consider this issue and then specifically write a rule that would apply to percussion revolvers. This would be about the only way to end the confusion of what is legal and what is not legal.

Personally, I don't see anything hazardous about using paper cartridges for reloading percussion revolvers. Paper cartridges for Sharps Carbines are legal so why not paper cartridges for percussion revolvers?