Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before I make a rule change motion...

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Before I make a rule change motion...

I guess I would like to get your input on this.

Used to be, we shot single shot and repeater as seperate events. Still do, but now during one time frame. Meaning: shooters have to choose which discipline they shoot, and which team they enter.

Now I have no real dog in this fight. I have a Henry. I have a Frank Wesson that I still don't have ready to go, so really, I can only shoot repeater. Our team doesn't have enough folks to enter repeater.

Someone with a Ballard or Wesson or whatever can shoot it in the repeater match. They are at a handicap, but it is legal; much like you can shoot a smoothbore in the musket match if you want. Dunno why you WOULD but you can.

Often, at regional shoots, if breechloaders are shot (and this appears to happen about once every 4 years in the MW, ditto on revolver) due to lack of participants, they allow you to shoot a Henry, Spencer, or other repeater in a single shot match if you single load it. Reasons being, it increases the participation.

Often, I see folks posting they are available for repeater and/or ss. Because their team doesn't enter that event. Now, with the current rules, or more to the point, the current schedule, the limit for these erstwhile pickup shooters is that there just isn't availability. The ss guys can join a repeater team, but the opposite isn't true.

So my propoasal would be to institute a rule change that you can enter and join a single shot team, if you have a repeater, provided you single load it. My reasoning:
    1. It would provide more spots for pick ups for both repeater and ss who are otherwise homeless and have a gun and want to shoot.
    2. If single loaded, a henry or spencer shooter is at no advantage over a ballard shooter or other ss shooter.
    3. It is still a period and discipline proper weapon, if otherwise in spec and approved.
    4. It would allow more teams to enter teams. Their choice, ss or bl.

I want to shoot my Henry. Others do too. Current rules say that if there is a ss team that needs a shooter, we stand by and they shoot short handed.

How do you feel about fixing this?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Why Not?

Absolutely,great idea.
    Cass

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    deleted, opinions were asked I gave mine and it was unpopular.

over and out.
    Last edited by Kurt Lacko 7862; 09-30-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    You're right, a single fed Henry is not a single shot rifle, it's an under utilized repeater and doesn't belong in a classification meant to display the capabilities of that class. A single fed Henry will still offer an advantage over a Sharps Rifle.
    Following this logic a team should then be allowed to enter a full compliment of Henry Rifles in SS as long as they single feed?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

new rule

Kurt,

Your optimism is overwhelming. Instead of being so negative why don't you post a positive reply to help the membership of the N-SSA. My mom taught me at an early age "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all".

Kevin

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Herrick View Post
    Kurt,

Your optimism is overwhelming. Instead of being so negative why don't you post a positive reply to help the membership of the N-SSA. My mom taught me at an early age "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all".

Kevin
    In addition if Kurt would actually look at the numbers, single shot teams have been increasing each year and is still a relatively new event.

Don

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I thought of the same idea last Spring and others may have as well. When I practice with my Henry, I always just single feed it. The ejection is faster on the Henry. With the Ballard you have to eject cartridges by hand which is another step. Has anyone actually timed loading on a Henry vs. Ballard?
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    My ballard and I would welcome the chance to bury a henry loaded one at a time . I say lets try it once or twice and see how it goes and if it is determined that there is some big advantage then abandon it but this is supposed to be for fun. I love shooting single shot but dont often get the chance near as often as I would like.This rule change would alloy my team to finally put in for a single shot team. Wonder how many other teams may join the fray to the benefit of the organization in the form of $$
    Last edited by ian45662; 09-30-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    You guys are right, over and out.

Kurt

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    It would help our team. We have enough Spencers, Ballards and Joslyns to put a team on the line, but single loading the Spencers makes more sense than trying to keep up in repeater with two repeaters and two single shots.