Thread: maybe of interest to our members.

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

maybe of interest to our members.

hi all,
    this is not cw small arms related but maybe of interest to our members as a general shooting topic. i have just received confirmation from mr. orest michaels the c.o.o of the cmp that your membership card for the n-ssa will be accepted to satisfy the marksmanship requirement of buying from the cmp. as many know the cmp is a great place to buy certain items shooting related. at this time we are not a cmp affialted group so you would still have to meet the other criteria. if you are interested in using your card for this purpose include a copy of your n-ssa membership and note on the paper it is for marksmanship. hope this helps those that may be interested but do not shoot other disciplines that would provide proof of marksmanship.
    matt
    winslows battery 9975 v
    www.odcmp.com

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Re: maybe of interest to our members.

Matt,

Thank you for the info about the N-SSA and the CMP. I feel that this is noteworthy for our membership. As I understand it, some of our members have already taken advantage of the co-operation of the CMP in recognizing the N-SSA.

NB - To all my friends, et al, who are looking, or lurking, for an opportunity to use one of the designated pages on this BB for a "General Chat Page", this isn't it! Matt's posting is a service to those of us who pursue alternate forms of practice and shooting competition, all of which makes us better Marksmen in the N-SSA. For that, his posting is appropriate enough for me.

I will leave this post open if you want to discuss this topic and how it relates to the N-SSA and competitive shooting. BUT, I don't want it to degenerate into something else, please.

John Holland
    CWSA Moderator

Team:
    9775V
    Region:

mr. holland,
    also of interest and i dont know how else to get this out would there be any possibility of the n-ssa joing the cmp as an affiliated club? the critiera is located on the the cmp website and doesnt seem to be too hard. is there anyway there can be a feeler put out the the powers that be about this it could also be used as a way to gain more members as the cmp i believe has something in the tens of thousands members if not more and some may be might be interested if we were affliated. anyway it would give us exposuer on a national level. thank you mr. holland for taking the time and letting this stand.
    matt
    winslows battery 9775v

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Matt -

That is a very good question. The proper protocol would be for you to present it to your Unit Commander, who will present it to your Regional Commander. Who, if he feels it has merit, will have it put on the Agenda for the August Board of Directors meeting. Where the Board will then officially discuss the matter on the record for adoption or rejection. Although, our JAG may have to research whether our 501 (c) 3 status will legally permit such a move.

John

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

You never can tell-the CMP might find a few cases of mint-condition M1864 Springfields or Spencer Carbines in a forgotten Army warehouse somewhere. I would buy one or each!

Team:
    9775V
    Region:

mr. holland,
    when i speak to my unit commander i will bring it up with him and maybe the ball will start rolling.
    thank you again
    matt
    winslows battery 9775v

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

You never can tell-the CMP might find a few cases of mint-condition M1864 Springfields or Spencer Carbines in a forgotten Army warehouse somewhere. I would buy one or each!
    Brannen, Funny you should ask about inventories of Spencer carbines, it seems like some state National Guard inventories still had Spencer carbines as late as the Spanish-American War.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 94649ED7CF

http://www.swiftview.com/~ormilmuseum/p ... rifles.jpg
    http://www.swiftview.com/~ormilmuseum/p ... c-669f.jpg
    http://www.swiftview.com/~ormilmuseum/p ... c-670f.jpg
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

That's great that they're accepting N-SSA membership cards as proof for the marksmanship requirement now. In the past, they would accept shooting in the N-SSA, but you had to have a letter from the Executive Secretary. It worked out okay back when I did it in the early years of the new millennium, but a photocopy of the card makes it even easier.

My wife is rolling her eyes and saying, "There go my new kitchen cabinets."

Cheers,

Mike
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin