Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made myself a dipper for my Sharps bullets.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Made myself a dipper for my Sharps bullets.

So I had been dipping the entire bullet end of the cartridge in lube, which, of course, lubes the nose of the bullet also. This seemed unnecessary to me and possibly even detrimental to accuracy, depending on how evenly the lube was deposited and remained on the nose during firing.

Anyway I decided to copy an idea I picked up from somewhere around here of making a dipper, kind of like the old Paas Easter Egg dippers, that the bullet could sit in during dipping. It would support the bullet, but also shield the nose from lube. Worked like a charm, though I will make the handle longer as it got a little warm during use.

The holder is made from a .45 ACP cartridge, which I expanded to the needed size using a dapping punch from Harbor Freight.

Then I made up about 200 rounds of ammo for doing a serious load workup session tomorrow, if the rain holds off:

Steve

Region:
    Visitor
    Great Idea. What are you using to make your cartages and make the ends flat they look so nice and neat.
    Last edited by Ron The Old Reb; 08-06-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Necessity,,,,,,,the Mother of Invention.....
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Great Idea. What are you using to make your cartages and make the ends flat they look so nice and neat.

Early period cartridges for the sharps had folded tails like traditional musket cartridges, and the sharps falling block would, in theory, slice off the tail on the up-stroke, revealing the powder. There were some problems though. For one things, sometimes instead of neatly slicing off the tail, it would tend to smear and fold up between the block and the breech face, making an impenetrable barrier for the cap to blast through, resulting in misfires.

Also, when the tail sheared off, necessarily some powder was lost. This resulted in inconsistent charges and accuracy, but also you'd end up with a bit of powder sitting on top of the breech block, which, if not dumped or blown off before firing, would result in a nice little flash in your face!

Later they switched to flat-bottomed cartridges that were designed to sit completely in the chamber, and had tail coverings of thin material that the cap could easily blast through.

I roll my cartridge bodies from 17 pound vellum paper. It is light enough that it blasts to smithereens without the need for nitrating, but heavy enough to easily work with. The end cap is made from hair curler paper. Originally I just cut it into approximately 1" squares, and then put some glue in the end of one of the tubes, and then put the square over a dowel and shove it through the tube until it comes to rest flush with the glued end of the tube. Then you set them aside to dry.

Lately, however, I bought a 1" punch from Amazon, and now I punch out hundreds of 1" circles in a few seconds by punching through a stack of the hair curler paper. These round disks make for very uniform end caps for the cartridges, and minimizes the amount of extra material so that they fold up nicely on the former as they go down the tube.

Steve

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    i got a 300 win mag case from a friend that i cut down that works great with the same piece of wire for a handle. keeps the nose clean.
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks Steve
    I'll try to make them that way this winter when cabin fever sets in. They look so much better then the ones I make out of cigarette papers.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    So I had been dipping the entire bullet end of the cartridge in lube, which, of course, lubes the nose of the bullet also. This seemed unnecessary to me and possibly even detrimental to accuracy, depending on how evenly the lube was deposited and remained on the nose during firing.

Anyway I decided to copy an idea I picked up from somewhere around here of making a dipper, kind of like the old Paas Easter Egg dippers, that the bullet could sit in during dipping. It would support the bullet, but also shield the nose from lube. Worked like a charm, though I will make the handle longer as it got a little warm during use.

The holder is made from a .45 ACP cartridge, which I expanded to the needed size using a dapping punch from Harbor Freight.

Then I made up about 200 rounds of ammo for doing a serious load workup session tomorrow, if the rain holds off:

Steve
    What is a dapping punch ?
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Region:

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Thanks. I learned something new.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Does lube build up on it while in use, or does it get up to temperature after a few rounds and the lube not stick to it too bad? In other words, are you constantly having to clean it off during use?