Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women competitors

Region:
    Visitor
    I don't think that Molly Picture wore a uniform.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Women competitors

Quote Originally Posted by John Robey View Post
    Read Section 23 of the Skirmish Rules. Uniforms are required for company competitions, and the uniforms must be those approved for the specific organization. There are no exceptions for women members. This also precludes the wearing of vivandiere costumes. The late Roger Williams (may God rest his soul) spoke succinctly to this issue: N-SSA; where the men are men, and the women are, too.

NOTE: Some regions require uniforms for all shooting events, including individuals, and uniforms are required for all shooting activities Friday through Sunday at Nationals.

NOTE: Uniforms are required to be worn for "all National and Regional company and artillery matches." (Rule 23.2a) Uniforms cannot be dispensed with for regional company events except in accordance with Rule 2.14 (Inclement weather).

John Robey
    Yes, I know what the rules say but the problem is that part of the rules are enforced part of the time for part of the people.
    Just like when I and a potential new recruit were spectating and we along with about a dozen or so members witnessed a man get mad because his weapon fouled and he threw it on the ground and had a fit and walked off the line. His commander, his teammates, the safety officer and other members did absolutely nothing! A MAJOR safety violation to throw a fouled weapon on the ground instead of laying it down and nobody did anything, except me.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Women competitors

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    It's an N-SSA rule that all members of the unit be in the approved uniform which said unit supplied to the N-SSA at the time they became a unit or if the uniform was altered since that time and accepted by the N-SSA. The only exception is inclement weather and then only if the skirmish director making uniforms optional. This is the rule for all official N-SSA skirmishes. If a unit has members out of uniform they can be disqualified from winning.

That said uniforms can vary greatly on the Confederate side as some units have opted for their uniform to be any period skirt or trousers which was the "uniform" of their unit from the time period of the war which they chose to submit with proof of said attire was actually wore by their unit during the war. So it could easily appear someone was out of uniform if 7 of them are wearing jean cloth and one someone totally different.
    Yes, I know this lil brother. Problem is that part of the rules are enforced part of the time for part of the people. And then there's the issues with rules being interpreted too many different ways by too many people. Take a look at the thread regarding coaching and spotting. Ridiculous.
    Im not being critical of the N-SSA or any individual. I love the N-SSA and the many wonderful members. But we have an issue with trying to recruit new members and if they ask a question to five veteran members, they get five different answers about some of the rules. Not good!

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    THIS,,,,,,,,is the very reason EVERYONE should have a copy of the rules and actually READ them once then keep them close if ever the need arise. I too hear way to many folks "explain" the rules. Most actually believe they are correct. A few may have been 20, 30, 40 years ago but things change.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Uniforms

Phil wouldn't you agree that 90% of the N-SSA need to take a good look at their skirmish clothes and the Midwest is right at the top of the list.
    Phil

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Kearny View Post
    Phil wouldn't you agree that 90% of the N-SSA need to take a good look at their skirmish clothes and the Midwest is right at the top of the list.
    Phil
    With what some wear, why even try.

nothing will happen if the hammer does not fall.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Kearny View Post
    Phil
    My thoughts on that in general:

Our team is pretty solid about uniforms. Period green shirt, period cut/style pants, either wool or a suitable facsimile, period hat. What type of hat you would like is up to you. A few members cheat a bit and wear 'whatever' for suspenders (sometimes, myself included) but that's about as bad as it gets.

I have noted other teams that are pretty lax on uniforms. A pair of jeans and a flannel shirt isn't a uniform, it's farm gear, work clothes, wear around the house clothes, whatever. Some teams don't seem to HAVE a uniform; and if confederate, if they are wearing period style clothing, that is more or less appropriate.

It is the duty of a team commander, skirmish director, regional commander, whatever to enforce the rules. Not mine. Unless the media is there, I honestly don't care; I care about how the people shoot. That said, in principle, while I don't see that we need to carry it as far as the reenactors do, sure, it would be nice to see more people take care of their appearance in regards to uniforms.

To the Midwest in particular: for the teams that regularly participate, I would actually say that we're among the best in terms of uniforms. We have a few small teams (who doesn't?) that I honestly don't recall what they wear, so I can't comment, nor would I in a public forum.

I guess my point is simply this; if you join a team, you should wear that team's approved uniform. Women who want to portray nurses or other battlefield participants are more than welcome to wear the appropriate clothes, but not on a shooting team, not on the line. That's my opinion. And, the rules, as they currently sit. People wearing the uniform should take due care to make sure it reasonably represents the one their team is approved to use. Simple as that.

Now, if it is a particularly hot day and uniforms are called, and a woman shooter wants to wear a period dress instead, that's her choice.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    My thoughts on that in general:

Our team is pretty solid about uniforms. Period green shirt, period cut/style pants, either wool or a suitable facsimile, period hat. What type of hat you would like is up to you. A few members cheat a bit and wear 'whatever' for suspenders (sometimes, myself included) but that's about as bad as it gets.

I have noted other teams that are pretty lax on uniforms. A pair of jeans and a flannel shirt isn't a uniform, it's farm gear, work clothes, wear around the house clothes, whatever. Some teams don't seem to HAVE a uniform; and if confederate, if they are wearing period style clothing, that is more or less appropriate.

It is the duty of a team commander, skirmish director, regional commander, whatever to enforce the rules. Not mine. Unless the media is there, I honestly don't care; I care about how the people shoot. That said, in principle, while I don't see that we need to carry it as far as the reenactors do, sure, it would be nice to see more people take care of their appearance in regards to uniforms.

To the Midwest in particular: for the teams that regularly participate, I would actually say that we're among the best in terms of uniforms. We have a few small teams (who doesn't?) that I honestly don't recall what they wear, so I can't comment, nor would I in a public forum.

I guess my point is simply this; if you join a team, you should wear that team's approved uniform. Women who want to portray nurses or other battlefield participants are more than welcome to wear the appropriate clothes, but not on a shooting team, not on the line. That's my opinion. And, the rules, as they currently sit. People wearing the uniform should take due care to make sure it reasonably represents the one their team is approved to use. Simple as that.

Now, if it is a particularly hot day and uniforms are called, and a woman shooter wants to wear a period dress instead, that's her choice.
    It is your responsibility, not the Skirmish Director or anyone else. When serving as a Line Judge, your duty is to apply the rules as written, communicate with the team Commanders about infractions and assess penalties when necessary. Choosing not to is a failure of your duties. Should a competitor disagree with your interpretation of the rules and wish to protest, you may enlist the help of an IG, if present, or the Skirmish Director

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P.Altland; 07-07-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Uniforms

Jon,
    Well lets see. Last time I attended Sherman's Bodyguard was a Union team. Union Army shirts were not issued in green. I believe gray, blue gray, tan, and the natural 3 button off white. Midwest Region suffers from the softball, bowling league stigma : red shirt, green shirt, work shirt, etc. And those wash and wear light blue trousers are a hoot!! Don't worry about the suspenders as they were not issued. Please note my first post. I mentioned skirmish clothes not reproductions, facsimiles or copies of actual uniforms.
    Phil
    Last edited by Phillip Kearny; 07-07-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    It is your responsibility, not the Skirmish Director or anyone else. When serving as a Line Judge, your duty is to apply the rules as written, communicate with the team Commanders about infractions and assess penalties when necessary. Choosing not to is a failure of your duties. Should a competitor disagree with your interpretation of the rules and wish to protest, you may enlist the help of an IG, if present, or the Skirmish Director

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    If I'm understanding this, everyone who does line judge duty also has to know what a particular team's uniform should be. Who in the entire association knows that?

Coming from the reenacting world, levels of authenticity can vary widely. Just what is the standard for NSSA? That said, I've had some wisecracks about thread counting, but as of now, I have yet to see any team, even at nationals that could escape the farby accusation.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor