Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy from Upstate NY

Team:
    149th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

New guy from Upstate NY

Hello,
    I am from Upstate NY (just outside of Utica). I joined as a Northeast Region Recruit member, but need to find a team to join... seems by the end of the year, or I won't be able to re-new as a recruit member.

My son and I attended the Spring Nationals last weekend as spectators. We had a great time, and learned a little about the shooting matches.

While we were there, I met some teams from the Rochester and Buffalo area. These guys were super friendly and helpful, and I have their contact info now, bu they are quite some distance from where I live... They also mentioned there are some units much closer to me in the Syracuse area. I'm wondering if the Syracuse members ever check this board, and are they looking for new members?

We plan to attend the Fulton shoot in July...

Thanks!

Chris

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Chris,

In the Syracuse Area you can choose A Union team - 149th NY or a Confederate team - Terry's Texas Rangers. I shoot with Terry's and can be reached at 315- 592-4901. If you want a contact with the 149th, let me know and I will get you a contact person.

Harry
    Rascus

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I am sure that you will find folks in your area. The New England Region is hosting a shoot at the Old Saratoga ML club next to the battlefield on Jun 10-11. Feel free to stop by.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Thanks for the info!

I am mixed up about a few things...

It seems I am right on the border of the Northeast Region and the New England Region. I was given a card stating I'm in the Northeast Region... Looking at the shoots for Northeast Region, there are a couple that are doable for me in Fulton... The other shoots are quite far away... Looking at the New England Region shoots, the Saratoga is doable for me geographically speaking (but I have a prior commitment on June 10-11). The other shoots in the NewEngland region are quite far away.

Are there teams that go in-between regions? Could I attend another regions match?

Though I'm not 100% opposed to joining a confederate unit, I think I have more interest in a federal unit. I actually was quite surprised to learn that there is a confederate unit in our area! For me, it would depend upon a couple of things...I've been working on geneology off and on, and believe I have some ancestors that fought with the 88th NY infantry. So I feel somewhat of connection to history on the Union side. Plus, I guess I'd have to talk to my wife (sounds bad I know....) while I'm of German, Irish, and Polish ancestry, well my wife is not Caucasian, let's put it that way... She is pretty understanding, I don't think she would have much of an issue with it, but I'm afraid having confederate regalia might cause issues with extended family. Perhaps it is stupid or ignorant of me to even think that... I know the war was fought for many reasons, and I doubt very much that anyone joins a confederate N-SSA unit with any ill-will toward others, perhaps there may be some misunderstanding in my extended family, which in the end may cause problems for her, and she doesn't deserve that...

By the way, I have a 1861 Springfield (armi-sport replica), a Smith Carbine (pietta replica), a 1858 Remington revolver (pietta)....While were at the Spring Nationals I bought a 1860 spencer, original but missing a bunch of parts (it will be a while before it is back together, and I procure a bullet mold). I also have my mind set on getting a 2 band Enfield in the near future. Do any of the local units use any of these? Do my rifles have to exactly match the units?

Thanks for all the help and education!

Chris

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Thanks for the info...

Seems I'm right on the border of regions.... There are matches in both the NorthEast region (Fulton) that are doable for me, and the Saratoga Match in the New England region is doable.... The other matches in both regions are a considerable distance away from me.

Though I'm not 100% opposed to joining a confederate unit, I think I have more interest in a federal unit. I've been working on genealogy, and it seems I have had ancestors in the 88th NY Infantry, thus I feel some historical connection to a Union unit.
    I would have to chat with my wife before I joined a confederate unit (sounds bad I know) hope this doesn't sound too offensive or ignorant, but my wife is not Caucasian. I doubt very much that anyone in a confederate N-SSA unit feels any ill will, and my wife is super cool and understanding... She rarely has a problem with anything I want to do, but I worry that her family might get the wrong idea, give her a hard time, etc. and she doesn't deserve that... I know the war was fought over a lot of issues, but I'm afraid my intentions (love of history and shooting) may be misconstrued by her family.

Do my rifles have to match whatever unit I join? I have 61 springfield (armi sport), smith carbine (pietta), 1858 remington (pietta), and I just bought an original 1860 spencer (at the spring nationals, but it's missing a bunch of parts and will be some-time before I accumulate everything it needs). I also have my mind set on getting a 2 band enfield in the near future.

Thanks for all the help and education!

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The northeast region has teams with a wide geographic spread. My team has members that are spread out from Buffalo to Jamestown to New Jersey. So don't worry about whether it's a Syracuse team or a Buffalo team; it's more important that you find a sympatico group of shooters. There are 2 shoots in Fulton this year, 2 in Erie PA, 2 in Dansville. The new England region also has shoots in Saratoga sometimes. Go to a lot of skirmishes and meet teams - that's the best way to decide.

Did you sign up online? I was under the impression that doing so was supposed to generate contacts for the teams in the appropriate region, but I've never gotten any input from it so . . . here is a link to the northeast region homepage with contact info for all of the teams http://www.ner-n-ssa.org/

Hope you find a team
    Chris Sweeney
    Commander, 44th NYVI

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Local teams

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
    The northeast region has teams with a wide geographic spread. My team has members that are spread out from Buffalo to Jamestown to New Jersey. So don't worry about whether it's a Syracuse team or a Buffalo team; it's more important that you find a sympatico group of shooters. There are 2 shoots in Fulton this year, 2 in Erie PA, 2 in Dansville. The new England region also has shoots in Saratoga sometimes. Go to a lot of skirmishes and meet teams - that's the best way to decide.

Did you sign up online? I was under the impression that doing so was supposed to generate contacts for the teams in the appropriate region, but I've never gotten any input from it so . . . here is a link to the northeast region homepage with contact info for all of the teams http://www.ner-n-ssa.org/

Hope you find a team
    The New England region has 3 skirmishes at the Old Saratoga muzzleloaders range which is adjacent to the Saratoga National Cematary and the Saratoga Battlefield.The first is this coming weekend the directions to the range are on the New England region we sight and can be accessed from this we sight.

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Thank You for all the help and input. I am not able to make the Saratoga skirmish due to a prior commitment, but I will be at the 1st Fulton skirmish in July, and hope to make the later Fulton and Saratoga Skirmishes.

Was practicing this weekend with my 61 Springfield and Smith Carbine in anticipation.

Chris

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I just want to point out that it does not necessarily matter where your team mates live. For example, every Deep South regional skirmish is held at the same place - Brierfield Ironworks Park. All teams from everywhere shoot there, so as long as you are close to the skirmish location, you could join any team.

Now it can be helpful to live nearby teammates to get together for practices or casting sessions or whatever but the real issue is what range are you near to.

Steve

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I just want to point out that it does not necessarily matter where your team mates live.
    +1 on this. McGregor's Battery has members spread from Wilkes-Barre, PA; to Raleigh, NC.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com