Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy from Upstate NY

Team:
    63rd New York State Volunteer Infantry of the Irish Brigade
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Chris - I've tried to message you twice on here and I'm not sure they went through. I'm with the 63rd NYSV in the NE Region. We are the new team. Shoot me at email at rich.j.ryan@gmail.com and we can chat. We're a fun team.
    Rich Ryan

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Most teams are happy for a new member, but whether the 149th, Terry's, or someone else (and I've shot with several of them as a pick up, or had them shoot with me)... you should chat with the team commander and find out what type of team they are.

Some are die hard competitors with weekly practices.

Some are party teams; others don't want a member who gets drunk at every skirmish.

Some only shoot nationals. Some go to every shoot and even out of region shoots. I know Terry's often gets to Midwest region shoots on a regular basis.

Find out how good they are too. If winning on a regular basis is important to you, that's something to consider. If you just want to shoot and have fun, that fits most teams, but not all.

Team:
    149th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

149th Contact

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Most teams are happy for a new member, but whether the 149th, Terry's, or someone else (and I've shot with several of them as a pick up, or had them shoot with me)... you should chat with the team commander and find out what type of team they are.

Some are die hard competitors with weekly practices.

Some are party teams; others don't want a member who gets drunk at every skirmish.

Some only shoot nationals. Some go to every shoot and even out of region shoots. I know Terry's often gets to Midwest region shoots on a regular basis.

Find out how good they are too. If winning on a regular basis is important to you, that's something to consider. If you just want to shoot and have fun, that fits most teams, but not all.
    I am Jim Smith from the 149th NY Volunteer Infantry. We have members in the Syracuse area, Cortland, Bath NY, and in New Jersey. I live in Ithaca.
    You can contact me at 607-229-2338 or jimsmith149@gmail.com
    Jim Smith, 10832
    149thNYVI

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Thanks for all the info:
    Regarding Jonk's comments about making sure the team is a good fit....

I just want to shoot with people who appreciate history as I do... I don't care if we win or loose, I just want to have fun. I shoot alot at my local range, and when I bring out my civil war rifles the guys there look at me like I'm some sort of weirdo... They only shoot AR's and Remington 700's.

To be honest, probably the most I could ever be would be a "fill in the hole" kind of member. I have a very busy career, and ontop of that I teach college classes a couple of nights a week and am the Cub Scoutmaster for my son's Cub Scout group.

I can make a few of the more local shoots, and can commit to attending the spring nationals, but the fall nationals occur when college classes are in session, so I won't be able to go...

I'm not in it for a drinking buddy club, I'm probably a dork, but I don't drink alcohol at all, I don't have anything against it, just never acquired a taste for it.... I'm a 38 year old big kid... I'm addicted to Coca Cola, and I just want to have fun!

Chris

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    To answer your question many teams travel outside their region to Skirmish. We shoot in the NewEngland, mid atlantic and occasionally the North East, as well as two trips to VA each year
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hi Ozmafaclami!

I shoot with the 4th Louisiana Delta Rifles: http://www.4thla.weebly.com

We have 2 members who live in Louisiana near Ponchatoula. It would be great to have someone to carpool with up to Brierfield, Alabama, which is where all but one of the Deep South Region skirmishes are held.

We are always looking for new folks!

Give me a shout at 256-509-8411.

Steve

John Holland is online now Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Sorry Steve.....he was a spammer.....all gone now, along with two other posts he had in other topics.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Bummer

Steve

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Shot in my first Skirmish

Through this bulletin board, I was able to make contact with the unit that is closest to me, the 149th NY Volunteer Infantry. I attended my first skirmish this past weekend, even got to shoot in the carbine team match.

I must say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the hospitality I received from the whole crew of the 149th. The whole time I was there, I felt as if we were all lifelong friends! The answered all of my silly questions, changed my front sight (as my Smith was shooting more than a foot high at 50 yards), they let me borrow some equipment so I could shoot, gave me a spot to shoot on the team. They even gave me some equipment from retired members.

I can't say enough good things about these fine folks, very friendly, and accommodating to an outsider who knows very little about N-SSA.

I wish the rest of the world worked as well as the N-SSA does!

I am hooked and can't wait to see my new friends again for some more FUN!

Chris

John Holland is online now Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Chris, I am so glad to hear your first impressions were good ones, and the 149th NY are a great group of people! I hope you are able to make it to the next Regional Skirmish at Dansville NY, where you will meet even more skirmishers who will welcome you with open arms. Hope to meet you there!