Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HARPER'S FERRY MAYNARD

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

HARPER'S FERRY MAYNARD

I looking for a 2nd model Maynard carbine and wondering about the one Harper's Ferry produced a few years back. Can anyone share their knowledge/experience with this carbine? Thanks so much..............Will

Harpers Ferry Maynard

Might I suggest using the search function to find the information you seek. I beleive this subject has been covered not too long ago.
    "if at first you don't succeed...keep on succing 'til you do succeed" - Moe Howard

There's a good article in the latest Skirmish Line in which John Holland tells about the Harper's Ferry Maynards and which ones are approved.
    I had one for a short time which was very nice looking, but needed a lot of work. The trigger was horrible, the flash hole needed modification, and the headspace was too big so the usual Maynard cases needed to be shimmed. The nice thing about it is that the bluing and case-color were very natural looking, such that from not too far away it looked like a really nice original.
    The big problem with the Harper's Ferry Maynards is that quality control was irregular, especially on the earlier guns.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    How could I get a copy of that article? Thanks...................Will

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Will,

Click on the email tab at the bottom of this post to contact me directly and I'll send you a copy of my article on Maynards.

Sincerely,
    John Holland
    Chairman, N-SSA Small Arms Committee

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Harpers Ferry Arms Maynard Carbine

John,

You may have heard more on the production numbers, but Harpers Ferry Arms Company had three product lines: a 1763 Model St Entienne flintlock musket; a M-1861 Springfield; and their 2nd Model Maynard Carbine. I'm not certain just how many of the Maynard Carbines were even made but it wasn't very many as I recall, nor do I recall now just who it was that received the remnants after the company folded, but I was thinking that Guy Owen may have got the remnants of the Maynards?

Brannen Sanders would know who got what because I bought one of the St Entienne muskets out of the remnant "assembled" guns that he had received as part of his settlement in 1978. I'm pretty certain that Guy was another of the ones who received a share of the parts, and if any of the carbines were assembled in 1978 or later, I remember seeing some at the Nationals but I wasn't in the market for one even then. Another of our then team members on the 3rd GA, Grady Mallard had one of the M-1861 Springfields and repro Maynard Carbine, because I shot his carbine at the first Nathan Bedford Forrest skirmish held at Union City in 1977. Oh, I still remember getting a face full of hot gas!

Richard McAuley
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    "I still remember getting a face full of hot gas!"

I've read that some of the HF Maynards had excess head space; was that the reason for the hot gas or something else or is this common with all precussion Maynards? Thanks.............will

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Geez,,,,,

I shor' wish folks would quit using Maynard in the same line or sentence as

...harper's ferry.

But now the words junk and harper's ferry go well together. Green
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

9. maynard

Low Moreland with Racoon Roughs has a number of the H F Maynards. He was a good friend of Guy Owens. The quality was hit and miss. I have a center fire frame with barrell work by John Bly . It is in .38 Special caliber. It has the appearence of a Second Model Maynard but is in centerfire caliber. Some H F parts were used in this progress. I believe that all these H F parts are long gone by now. JD
    John V Doyle # 3463 V

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I have one, Parts are very very hard to come by... Mine does rather well, just had it relined and went from there... Go original if your wallet will allow..
    Alan Spencer
    Laurel Brigade ANV.
    Comp. #7794