Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube...

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Lube...

Whilst perusing a treatise entitled "What Small Arms Ammunition Consists Of" by Arthur B. Hawes, Captain (r.h.p.), Bengal Army, (published in London, 1859) on David Minshall's fine expository Web site,

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms ... idge02.htm

I happened upon this paragraph:

"Lastly, the lubrication, or anti-fouling agent, as it ought to be correctly named, is a point upon which many different opinions have been freely expressed."

:shock:

"That thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done; and there is no new thing under the sun." Eccles. 1:9 KJV.
    Jim Strang
    Gen. W.T. Sherman's Bodyguard
    Midwest Region

"I think the Union army had something to do with it."
    ― Gen. George Pickett, years afterward, on why his charge at Gettysburg failed.

Jim,
    You're right on the money. It's been AGES since we've had a rip-snortin', finger-snappin' eye-waterin' LUBE thread!

I'm ready for a fresh batch of those hallowed IMHO, FYI, & STB comments, yet again!

That is, unless we're all sused out; what with issues such as "Western Range", the ever-popular "Aging & Declining Membership" topic, heated "Firing Line Rules" change(s), and the always important personel hygiene issue: (non-weather related) "Showers at the Range". (Discretion prohibits my listing "Gas, and how it will affect your Nationals" After all, as a previous thread reminded us, everyone can read our comments!)

Heck, with topics such as these, our fingers must feel like they are nearly nubbed to the knuckles. Cummon' guyz & galz. Show that good ole N-SSA spirit! Get those distant, aging & declining, dirty/gassy fingers working!
    :wink:
    j.p. Long
    44th GA
    "We luvz da fordy-forth!"
    Count Targets, not Stitches.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    OK
    Let's get this one going. As those of you who know me, know that the only reason I skirmish is to be able make bullets and clean guns.

All year long I save ear wax and belly button lint. During the winter I use the ear wax to make lube (OK, so I have bad ears). The formula is secret but can be had for a six pack.

I have a little bitty loom that I make patches out of with the belly button lint..

You would be surprised at how much money you can save doing this.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    None
    A very interesting article, especially where the author mentions avoiding acidic compounts. For years I used the old standby beeswax and tallow, beef tallow. Then when I started loading ammo for the Henry rifle I found if the ammo wasn't fired and I put it aside for the next skirmish, the cases had verdigris forming where the lube touched the case. I switched to beeswax and lard or beeswax and crisco and the verdigris stopped forming. The little piggies are far superior to the moocows in the fat department.

I lube my minnies by standing them in a tray and pouring the lube around them, the "cookie cutter" method. Using beef tallow I had to cut them out at exactly the right time or the lube became to hard and brittle and broke away from the bullets. Using lard, even when the lube had cooled completely the lube stuck to the bullets and never became what I would call brittle. Another bonus is every supermarket sells lard in 1 lb. bricks, so the kitchen rendering, smell and mess ended. Love those pigs!!!!!

Bob Fisch

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Had an "executive planning session" over this topic just this weekend.

Anyone know where to get BHT or BHA?

Mostly lined up all the other ingredients (Wanchese beeswax, bovine cheek fat, eye of newt, etc.)
    Manly?s Battery 243-TW

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Re: Lube...

I read the quote and laughed out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strang

"Lastly, the lubrication...is a point upon which many different opinions have been freely expressed."
    Considering the author is a captain in the Bengal Army--where the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 began--and he's writing just a year after the Mutiny almost ejected the Europeans from India, this may win the award for "Greatest Understatement of All Time".

I don't think the Framers considered armed rebellion to be "freedom of expression" when they drafted the First Amendment. Well, maybe Jefferson did. :lol:
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Lefty is yelling at me from an arms length away. :roll: He says again that if you can't eat it it doesn't belong on a black powder bullet. Beeswax and crisco is ok but improves greatly with the addition of a small amount of olive oil, variable as to ambient temperature. If you're a real individualist you can even add a bit of your favorite flavoring so that after the days shooting you can spread it on a Triscut and have a pleasant snack with your gun cleaning adult beverage.

For Lefty

Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Region:
    Hot tar dipped musket balls are best if you're safety does not object to the Coleman stove on the line.
    "Vereeie interesting; but schtuepid."

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Alox??

I have read on past "lube war" threads that Alox should be avoided as a lube for minies...
    Something about it "gums up the barrel" over time...
    But there are many smoothbore shooters that use it for round ball??
    What gives?

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by danajhanson View Post
    I have read on past "lube war" threads that Alox should be avoided as a lube for minies...
    Something about it "gums up the barrel" over time...
    But there are many smoothbore shooters that use it for round ball??
    What gives?
    That seem to be a question that only Congress can answer.
    Perhaps in a rifled arm the lack of a greasy lube will cause build-up in the rifling and destroy accuracy, inadvertently turning the arm into a "smoothbore".
    "Vereeie interesting; but schtuepid."