Thread: Paper cartridges and felt wads for 1860 Army

1. Paper cartridges and felt wads for 1860 Army

This might not be for just NSSA matches, but for just shooting the 1860 Army and other revolvers in general, what do you guys use to seal the chambers in black powder revolvers when using paper cartridges? Is the paper cartridge itself sufficient for that? I am used to using nothing but loose powder, wads, and then the ball for so long, now that i am trying paper cartridges, I just want to be safe.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Avoiding Chain Fires

Suprisingly, some percussion revolver shooters believe that MANY (NOT ALL) "Chain-Fires" are caused by loose fitting percussion caps. So, be sure that your percussion caps not only "fit" your revolver's nipples, but EACH CAP be fully seated on each nipple.

For some strange reason, some Italian made revolvers come with slightly off size nipples. If that is the case with your repro revolver, replacing those nipples with American made Tresco nipples is a good idea. Needless to say, you have to use caps of the correct size.

Some target shooters in the N-SSA prefer to use round balls in their revolvers instead of the conical bullets. Generally, the commercially made round balls in ".44 caliber" come in either in .451 or .457 diameter. So, if you own a .44, then you must use the correct size ".44 caliber" ball.

When the ball is seated in the chamber, a THIN RING OF LEAD should be sheared off each ball when it is seated. This lets you know that each ball is "tight" enough in the chamber to assure that no flames from the firing of the gun can make it into that chamber and cause a "chain-fire."

Felt wads seated behind the ball (on top of the powder) are also a good idea. Some shooters, after the chambers of the cylinder are loaded use a heavy water pump grease, smeared on the mouths of the chambers to not only provide "lube" for the ball when it is fired, but this also guards against the possibility of a chain-fire.

With paper cartridges, again a tight fitting bullet is the key. As any paper on the oversize portion of the bullet will be sheared off when the bullet is seated in the chamber. Keep in mind that back in the 19th Century Colt along with other manufacturers sold a lot of paper cased revolver cartridges while the army issued paper cased revolver cartridges in the millions during the Civil War.

There are few recorded instances of shooters using paper cased revolver cartridges from that era experienceing "chain-fires." So, apparently paper cased cartridges do not pose a "chain-fire" hazard IF the bullet is of the correct size to fully seal the chamber mouth.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    In 33 years of shooting revolvers, I've never used paper cartridges. I load with a pre-measured charge, followed by Cream of Wheat and the bullet. However, I use a bit of lube around the bullet as a backup sealer.

No chainfires.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

paper cartridges

I have used nitrated paper cartrideges for many years and never had a problem. I have though experienced a chain fire on more than one occasion, Other than frayed nerves , no harm was done, I always cover the chambers with Crisco. I think it has been proven pretty conclusively that chainfires originate through the nipples no doubt due to poorly fitting caps.

By the way, the chain fires invaribly occurred when I used just powder and ball, not paper cartridges. Each time the chamber mouths were filled with Crisco.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Causes of "Chain-fires"

I’ve only experienced a ‘chain-fire’ with a blackpowder revolver once, and that was over 30 years ago. Although I followed Brannen’s advice above, and insured that when the balls were seated, that I shaved off a ring of lead, the one thing that I failed to do on that occasion was to close off the chambers with grease (Crisco). The revolver was a Model 1860 Colt Army made in the late 1960s by Replica Arms, and as always, I pinched each cap when loading so they would hold better. I don't recall that anyone had yet determined conclusively that "chain-fires" were caused by undersized cones or loose-fitting caps, but given that both No. 10 and No. 11 caps were then commonly available on the commercial market, perhaps this may account for this consideration of undersized cones or loose-fitting caps?

Although I have owned and shot many other revolvers in the years since, Remingtons, Rogers & Spencer, and currently shoot a M1851 Colt, I’ve not had any other “chain-fires” (knock on wood) since adopting these same safety measures. Of course, with my Colt, I’m only using a tiny charge of 8 grs of FFFg with a .375 dia round ball for 25 yards. It’s just enough powder to propel the ball to the target with the tightest group. Some others use 15-20 grains to do the same. While I have tried using the pre-made nitrated paper loads, these always worked fine for "blanks" but I also usually had a spare cylinder that could be loaded ahead of time, and I could just swap out when I exhausted the first six shots. Oh, and I still have the above Replica Arms revolver, though it's long since been retired. I once had a chance to sell it but declined, when the late Turner Kirkland, founder of Dixie Gun Works, saw the revolver at the nationals in the late 1970s, and asked "How much do you want for the original?"
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66