Thread: Check my math on this

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Check my math on this

I have a musket with a 28.5" sight radius that shoots 8" high (and very slightly left- about 3/4") at 100 yards. Sight calculations would suggest that I need to lower the rear sight aperture by .063." Or, about 1/16". I don't care so much about being 3/4" left. I can KY windage that.

Right now it's a peep sight. I think that I'm going to simply cut off the sight at the peep, and file it deeper, in stages. I'd actually prefer an open sight for the 100 yard event. But just for a ballpark estimation, does that depth change sound right?

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Your math checks. While you're moving that peep, you could also move it .005 right and fix that windage.

Are you coming to BPTTA tomorrow? I've also got a fixture for moving your front sight we could try.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    Region:
    Bob,

Obviously I didn't make it. I only got up there once this year.

I don't know what Eric Schussler made that peep sight out of, but it's as hard as ordinance steel. I went a different route; I cut it off (with much difficulty) right through the middle of the peep, and made it into an open sight, filed down with a very thin diamond file. I left it a little proud for final adjustments. I also did put a little sideways pressure on the file as i did it for the final few passes to try to adjust windage a tad.

The front sight is brazed in place, so I'd rather not play with it. Besides, it shoots right on at 50 yards.

Team:
    Region:
    Update: I took the gun out today and made final adjustments. I filed the notch deeper 30 swipes at a time. Took a few hundred passes of the file to get the notch to where I wanted it, but after doing so I shot an offhand target with a score of 46 3x. Maybe no record, but for an initial outing it tells me that it's right where I need it. The total depth filed was pretty close to what the math said it would be; just a touch more in fact, so that I wouldn't have the tip of the sight buried at the bottom of the notch.

Happy camper.