Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Two Reproduction-related Questions

Good Evening,

A couple of questions here:

-Are the days of relatively inexpensive, used rifled muskets basically over? I remember a few years ago seeing used Euroarms or Armi Sport Springfields and the like for maybe $300-400. They were not in perfect shape, but definitely serviceable guns. At the time, I did not buy anything in that range because I had other interests in muzzleloading. I am reconsidering now and looking at used rifled muskets, but the prices seem to be much higher now, at least in the ones I've seen. Has something happened to drive their prices up?

-Has Pietta reached the point that the internals in its reproduction revolvers are better than Uberti? The conventional wisdom for years was that Uberti was a step better, but my latest Uberti was a bit lacking, and then I saw someone who studied internal parts hardnesses and found the Uberti internals were all softer than the Pietta. Has the Pietta use of CNC machinery made them functionally equal to or better than Ubertis generally today?

Thanks

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Yep, prices on replica muskets are definitely higher. As for Pietta, my understanding is that a few years ago Pietta invested in all new, CNC German machinery for their factory and because of that, the quality of their products has gone up.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The switch to the Euro hit prices hard.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I run across $300-400 muskets often. As reenactors exit the hobby the prices aren't bad but most of the arms I've seen would need relining. If have over 50 message boards I hit and they shows up a few a week. Thinking as more exit reenacting and in need of cash the frequency will increase.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I got my first repro musket- a Euroarms 1858 2 bander- for just over 400 back in 2000. How times have changed.

You can still find used reproductions at that price point. Send it to a good gunsmith/machinist such as Whitacre or Hoyt to have it relined for about 200 bucks, either invest another hundred in lock tuning or do it yourself (if you feel up to it) and you'll have a competition grade gun for 6-700 dollars. Better than a new one for accuracy, and a few hundred cheaper.

I do see them turn up at that price from time to time- 3-400- either on this board, at sutlers, or on gunbroker. Gunshows seem to be a bit steep these days.

Team:
    6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry
    4938V
    Region:

Repro

I agree with Jonk, I lucked into a great old Gold Rush Mississippi with the proper bolster a couple years ago and after converting it into a variation with a long range rear sight, I now have a great looking and shootin tack driver that cost me under $700....

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    There are deals out there, but in some cases you have to be in the right place at the right time to find the deals. I recently acquired a Zoli Zouave (manufacture date 1972) in almost mint condition for $250.00. I bought it so we would have a loaner musket/rifle for any potential new members.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by ms3635v View Post
    There are deals out there, but in some cases you have to be in the right place at the right time to find the deals. I recently acquired a Zoli Zouave (manufacture date 1972) in almost mint condition for $250.00. I bought it so we would have a loaner musket/rifle for any potential new members.
    Nothing wrong with that gun as stock for a B team member at least. I commend you for your foresight in having it on hand! I know if any potential members needed to borrow my back up guns, they would be most welcome to do so... I'd even load the ammo. First shoot is free, after that, at cost until they get set up.

No one seems to have addressed the revolver issue yet. Right now there are two grades of revolvers being turned out by the repro companies. The 250-400 dollar functional guns that often shoot like garbage, but are cheap, and the 1000 dollar shooters models. I forget which is making which though?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've been shooting NSSA for about 6 years now.

When I got in, a new musket cost about $899. You can still catch them on sale for that from time to time, but by and large it's $1000 for a new musket these days.

You occasionally find used ones going for $500 or so here and in other places, but my general impression is that used ones typically go for $700 or so, and known good "named" skirmish guns are often $1200+.

As for revolvers. I saw the post on facebook where the guy did hardness checks on the Pietta vs. the Uberti and found the Pietta parts generally harder.

I have a Pietta 1860, Pietta 1858, a Uberti 1858 steel, a Uberti 1858 stainless, a Uberti Walker, and 2 Pietta brass-framed 44 1851s that came from Walmart in blister packs. Their barrels are cocked a few degrees off of true.

The Uberti Walker I have shot clover leafs off a bench at 25 yards, and I have hit a gong at 120 yards or so a few times with it. It is probably my most accurate revolver.

None of the rest are what I would consider "match grade" guns or "competition worthy". In spite of lots of load workup work, none of them group better than 3-4 inches off a bench at 25 yards.

I've never bought one of the stock $800 "high end" revolvers so I can't comment on that.

I left my Uberti 1858 with Ball Accuracy at the last nationals; we'll see if he can make a competition grade gun out of it.

To me, if a gun won't shoot clover leafs off of a bench, you don't have anything for a competition gun.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Hallo!

My long white beard that goes to the floor is showing.

When I started, I caught flak and ridicule for spending $185 on the new Navy Arms "M1864" because "Zouaves" were still $85 or a $100.

Then I caught it again with $250/$265 Yeck's.

I do have to remember at the time I brought home $80 and coins per week for pay.

But only after walking 12 miles to school every day in a blizzard, uphill both ways.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife