Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need a better skirmish calendar...

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

We need a better skirmish calendar...

Am I missing something, or is our Skirmish Calendar sorely lacking in usefulness? If I'm thinking about going to a skirmish, particularly one I've not been to before, I need to know the schedule of events and exactly where the range is. Why can't there be a link to that information? Just having the city it's located in and the hosting team is not very helpful.
    Glenn M. Kaye

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Glenn's question is a valid one.

Personally, I believe closing the Upcoming Skirmishes/Events page was perhaps premature, and reopening it should be considered. This was the meeting place for general conversations regarding additional information about the various skirmishes around the country. That page availed itself to questions regarding specific local directions, motels or hotels in the area, formal restaurants, fast food, food on site, event schedules, etc.

Yes, the "Around the camp Fire" page could be used, but it is being used exactly for what it was intended, a hodge-podge of topics and conversations. It is not topic specific as the Upcoming Skirmishes/Events page was.

I have been asked by several members why the page was closed. My only answer to them has been: "The closing of that page was an arbitrary decision done by higher powers. None of the Moderators were contacted or consulted for their input and/or opinions."

John Holland

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I also think the forum should be re-opened. However, I also like a calendar page. But I think the calendar page needs to have more relevant information. Right now if you go to the calendar because you want to go to the event shown on the calendar, you can't, because there is no additional information nor links to it.

I like the forum because not only can you advertise your upcoming skirmish, but you can talk about it with the community.

Steve

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    They can't post what they don't have. Some Host Teams probably don't even have they're Application packet submitted for approval yet. Once approved, submission of the invite for inclusion in the calendar is still the responsibility of the Host Team.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P.Altland; 03-02-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    All regional skirmishes were to be submitted for approval in time for the Winter Board meeting last month.

Region:
    They can't post what they don't have. Some Host Teams probably don't even have they're Application packet submitted for approval yet. Once approved, submission of the invite for inclusion in the calendar is still the responsibility of the Host Team.
    I sent an email back on 1/22/2017 to webmaster@n-ssa.net to have the names on the calendar entry corrected, and it was never done.

I also sent an email the same day to calendar@n-ssa.net requesting the info change, plus a copy of our approved invitation.

The skirmish was February 17-19th.

Maybe the email proxies were broken.

Ideally, teams should be able to edit the calendar themselves. I don't know how you do this - you don't want to open it up to anyone to edit (spam, abuse, etc.), but perhaps approved people can.

All regional skirmishes were to be submitted for approval in time for the Winter Board meeting last month.
    This is just what the regions have scheduled, right? Not actual skirmish applications?

Steve

Team:
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Maps, applications, etc. don't just appear on the calendar page; someone has to submit a pdf. That having been said, various teams in the Northeast region have submitted attachments that never appeared, nor have replies from whoever manages the page been always forthcoming. At least we finally got it straight which teams are Northeast Region and which are New England (only took 2 years).

FYI, anyone wanting skirmish info for Northeast Region shoots can find maps, schedules, and applications on the Schedule page of the NER website. We try to get the data up at least a month in advance.
    Chris Sweeney
    Commander, 44th NYVI

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Certainly the interested shooter could still find said info. Start with the upcoming skirmishes on the main N-ssa homepage. Note what region it's in, then see if there is a webpage for that region. If you don't find what you need on said webpage- and I manage the MW webpage and admit, I don't do much with it in the off season- you'll probably find a link to someone who can provide you with the info. If there is no webpage, I'm sure posting here about contact info would go a long way; or if you are on Facebook, most regions have pages there.

This said... there is no reason such info shouldn't be available here or on the main page either, and I'd certainly encourage a 2 pronged attack on this.

1. When a team puts out a schedule for an upcoming shoot, make sure to notify the webmaster here, AND include details on targeting and the like, as well as a brief map.
    2. If any webmasters of regional pages haven't asked the main webmaster to create a hyperlink to their page, do.

For my part, I'll probably be updating the MW page sometime this coming week, after I do the yearly renewal. It's something I'd like to spend more time on, but it's a learning work in progress. I'm pretty fair at HTML coding, CSS still eludes me... so updates are a bit painstaking.

Team:
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Yes, you basically have to go to the Regional website of the region hosting a skirmish to get more detailed information.
    But just to get to the regional websites is a convoluted, unintuitive affair, to wit;

Go to the N-SSA Homepage (not the Forum)
    Click on the "About" dropdown.
    Click on the link for "Regions"

Sure, it seems simple enough when it's laid out like this, but the first few times it took a lot of trial and error! There should be a simple, direct link to Regions.
    Glenn M. Kaye

Region:
    Yeah, it is totally unreasonable to expect anyone, especially new people, to go through that kind of convolution to get to the information.

When you click on the entry in the calendar, it should have all the information for the calendar entry pop up.

At a minimum, a PDF of the skirmish invitation. Ideally, a link to the host team's web site.

Of course not all teams have web sites yet, so they should at least have dedicated pages on their regional web sites. The state of our web deployment at the team and even regional level is still deplorable, but that's a discussion for another day.

For my part, I'll probably be updating the MW page sometime this coming week, after I do the yearly renewal. It's something I'd like to spend more time on, but it's a learning work in progress. I'm pretty fair at HTML coding, CSS still eludes me... so updates are a bit painstaking.
    I am using weebly.com for making web sites nowadays. It's a drag-and-drop interface, and has plenty of built-in functionality for hosting a team web site. It almost completely insulates you from HTML and CSS unless you desire to expose it.

Steve