Thread: IAB 1859 Sharps questions

1. IAB 1859 Sharps questions

I just got my first Sharps .54, a IAB 1859 Business rifle. I have seen a few articles on the loading of the paper cartridges, the question I have, is the bullet separate from the paper cartridge? I have seen where some load the cartridge as just powder wrapped on both ends in paper and the bullet placed in first to engage the rifling.
    Anyone else have one of these IAB's that could tell me what the best loading info for this gun is. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with Triple 7 in their .54 Sharps when using paper cartridges. Also, is the proper bullet diameter for the IAB .544? I have to order some bullets (their manual doesn't give you any size at all).

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hi David,

There are several ways to make up your cartridge. If you roll your own, you can tie with a twist tail for cutting, or make a cylinder with a flat base. As for the bullet, I would guess that this gun will use a .542 bullet, but you need to slug the bore to be sure.

Triple 7 and Sharps are not so good match. The propellant needs a little more pressure with the spark to get consistent ignition. I know some shooters add some black powder for a booster, but it still varies.

I would start with 2F Swiss powder, about 35 to 40 grains, and you should be real close to having a good load.

If interested I also produce paper cartridge tubes for this rifle.

If interested, my phone is 410-208-4736

Charlie Hahn

Dave, try Charlie's tubes with ringtail bullet on one end and curling paper on other end. And a former teammate on our team shot an IAB Sharps with 50 grains of 3f goex, and it shot great--of course a sharps always shoots great--, but anyway Charlie's tubes are a great choice. Good luck.
    Brad Schuler 4th Kentucky Cavalry C.S.A.

4. Charlie, what length tube do you recommend starting with for with my rifle?

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    You need to measure the chamber length. To do this take one of the bullets you intend to use. Drop it in the chamber and measure the distance from the base to the face of the breech. Then I need the length of the ring tail. With this information I can offer a tube.

My phone is 410-208-4736 you can call if you like and we can go over any other items that will help you get started, load, filler, breech freeze, etc.

Charlie