Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big frame Ballard information

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Big frame Ballard information

Like John Holland has said, no one has been given production approval to build a big frame 56-56 Ballard rifle or carbine. Yes, big frame Ballards can be shot on the line in the Breech Loader 2 Matches. These are originals, not reproductions. They are being shot in their original configuration using an offset primer or have been modified and given a SAC card using an approved centerfire conversion. Historical note: Only a few big frame Ballard carbines were approved and accepted by the US Government, a little over 100. These few are marked Dwight & Chapin and have an acceptance stamp letter D on the frame. I own one. All the rest were rebuilt, remarked, and have mixed numbers and sold to the State of Kentucky. The total production of the big frames is believed to be less than 2000 and most were carbines, not rifles. The highest serial number I have personally seen is in the 1600's. Also just a coincidence is that the .54 cal Mississippi barrels bore is within a few ten thousands of an inch of the Ballards 56-56 bore. I only know a little about these, others I am sure know more.
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 12-15-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The frames on the Ballards that I have seen were iron and not very sturdy. Most of us shoot light loads in our rifles and carbines to avoid cracking the frames. A number of shooters with heavier loads have cracked their frames. Considering that I shoot around 35 grains of 2f in my Spencer 56-50 cases, I was wondering how the large frame Ballards hold up with this kind of a load? Were the frames significantly beefier than the ones in smaller caliber Ballards such as the 44 and 46 rimmfire?
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA from 2000 to 2024

Region:

Big frame Ballards

The big frame Ballards are 56-56 not 56-50. The bullet is really close to the same diameter as the cases outside diameter. The 56-50 case mouth tapers down at its mouth. I have never heard of a big framed Ballard that was cracked. Not that they haven't, I have never seen one. At least 30% of the all the small frame Ballard originals I have seen are cracked and these are ones no one ever skirmished with. Look at the following collector sites to see just how different the frames sizes are: https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/s...3&cat=0&page=1 & https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/s...0&cat=0&page=1
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 12-15-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Thanks, guys:

Yes, I goofed on the 56-50 aspect. Thanks for setting me straight and sharing, Bruce. That aspect can be managed by Larry since only the receiver and some action parts have been roughed-out.

All I am attempting to do is to have Larry Romano make a conforming, SAC approvable large frame Ballard rifle in 50 caliber. Guess the devil is in the details.

I have experience with "cast" frame Ballards and saw a few let go ON THE LINE at ASSRA matches in the early '70's and into the '80's. Two had Barry Darr 12L14 steel barrels in 32-40 caliber. Documented use of reduced charges of SMOKELESS ringed chambers and opened other rifle receiver TOPs. I would be nervous using an original, even with straight black powder loads because they are to me, irreplaceable collectors pieces.

So..... Larry's use of properly hardened 8620 alloy steel in the receiver and 4140 in the barrel seem to me, at least, a reasonable way to solve that problem. Safety first.

Most respectfully,

Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 12-15-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Jim, I ended up making a 0.558" mold for my rifle, regular Spencer 56-56 bullets were too small. They were lucky to hit the backstop. My pet load is 25gr. of GOEX CTG in cut down 50-70 cases, with card wads. Unlike a Spencer, the rims do not have to be turned to 0.65" to chamber (at least not in my Ballard). The frame is iron, but pretty hefty. I think the main problem with all pre-Marlin Ballards is the sharp corners in the frame cutouts. If I was reproducing them, I would absolutely radius those corners. They are major stress risers in a very critical area, and cast iron doesn't like stress risers.

Region:

Kevins Big Frame Ballard from Romano

Kevin, you said,

"Yes, I goofed on the 56-50 aspect. Thanks for setting me straight and sharing, Bruce. That aspect can be managed by Larry since only the receiver and some action parts have been roughed-out. All I am attempting to do is to have Larry Romano make a conforming, SAC approvable large frame Ballard rifle in 50 caliber. Guess the devil is in the details. "

Kevin, I am trying to help & understand your project, asking the following questions. It's good you are using modern materials. Did you look at the links I shared so everyone can see the huge difference in the sizes of the frames? The original Ballards you have seen shooting at black powder silhouette matches and the modern reproductions made by others are all based on the small frame Ballard. No small frame or big frame carbines or rifles will ever be N-ssa approvable in 50 caliber. The only calibers the Ballards were made in during the Civil War was .44, .46 & .56. The only caliber the big frame Ballard was ever made in is .56 .............. not .50. Has Larry worked with John Holland to get the specifications he needs to correctly reproduce a Ballard big frame in .56 caliber? Has he contacted John so he can get it N-ssa approved? I have seen that it works so much better when the N-ssa and manufacturer work together. I have never seen Larry display a big frame Ballard and didn't know he owned one. Did you give Larry an original big frame model rifle to duplicate or did he already have one? I am always here to help if necessary. Regards, Bruce
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Region:
    Hello, again Bruce:

Wow. Am impressed with your base of knowledge on Ballard rifles.

I need your help. So that I do not make a costly mistake, would you please provide me with the large frame 56-56 Ballard rifle barrel's outside diameters at the receiver and muzzle?

Many thanks,

Kevin Tinny

Region:
    I have been selling off my collection due to health issues. The big frame rifle is one of those i no longer have. I will try and locate one to give you that information. I will send you my phone number by PM so we can talk more.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks, Bruce:

Received your PM w telephone number and left my thanks and number on your voicemail.
    If you shot with the Washtenaw Club or at Greenfield Village, we had/ have many of the same friends.

Regards,
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Here you go Kevin,

Muzzle: 0.815"
    Breech: 1.135"
    Back edge of rear Sight dovetail 1.125" from front of receiver.
    Sight base is the same as a Spencer, but the ladder is unique.

Measurements from rifle sn 888.