Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Tinted Photo of Union Soldier with Spencer Rifle

Region:
    Visitor

Nice Tinted Photo of Union Soldier with Spencer Rifle

Hello N-SSA,

Your comments are welcome on this great photo! I don't have any other information on the soldier's unit.

Two Flints

C.W. Artillery is offline Banned
    Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

Union Soldier Armed with Spencer Rifle

Union Cavalry Trooper Armed With a Spencer

02 September 2016 --- I seem to think the photo image shows a cavalry trooper, based upon the fact he is wearing high riding boots with his breeches tucked into the top of his boots. Given that, I would expect his long arm to have been a Spencer carbine, however, there is no doubt but his long arm is of the rifle length.

I would also expect a cavalry trooper to have his revolver in a side holster with a flap closure securing the pistol from loss during riding. As presently seen, the pistol would wind up on the ground somewhere on any ride (even a light trot) other than a walk. Of course, we are looking at a studio presentation where the subject exercises his free will to present himself as he wishes for his audience.

A great study of a Civil War participant and I thank you for posting it, even if it was quite some time ago.

Webb Brown

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I'm on the bare edge of what I know, but here's what I see. Feel free to educate me on points where I'm off base.

Doesn't the yellow insignias, the stripes on the pants and tassels on the saber also indicate a cavalry unit?

The pistol looks like a big Colt, like a Walker or a Dragoon. I thought cavalry units often carried them in pommel holsters. If so, posing for a picture with one in his belt is more to show off his equipment.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

After the war?

Thats some kind of getup he has on. The cross belt may be for a carbine. If that is right than this is not Civil War but an Indian War era. The width of the strap is for a 45-70 carbine and the cartridge box looks like it too.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    For what it's worth, John Wilder's "Lightning" Brigade (mounted) carried the long Spencer.

Team:
    na
    Region:
    Visitor

Soldier

Nice photo with the process of Dynamichrome bringing out the true colors. To me the original appeared to be a glass plate. The cavalry trim seems to have been enhanced with gold paint. As his for his equipment these could be the photographers studio props. A common practice during this period. The short roundabout jacket speaks cavalry and the rifle spells dragoon. Recruit that man.
    W. Clark

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Great to hear from my old friend Two Flints who, for those of you who may not know, is the founder of the Spencer Shooting Society! If you have any interest in "everything Spencer" I highly recommend visiting his page at http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,35.0.html where you find hours of delightful and fascinating reading.

I thank Two Flints for posting the great photo of a Cavalry Sergeant.

Bruce Cobb may be correct that it is a post Civil War photo, and in classic tin-type fashion it is a reversed image. I also suspect it may be loaded with photographers props, a not uncommon thing in that time period.

It is interesting that he is wearing a soft "Bummer's Cap" and not a Kepi.

I agree with Bruce that the Carbine sling is the later model. The most common is the M-1885, although there was an earlier model with a different buckle. I can't remember when the early type was issued and those reference books not accessible at this time.

The revolver is the standard Colt 1860 Army Revolver.

The cartridge box, with what appears to be a brass reinforcement on the bottom of the flap, would seem t be the M-1874 Dyer Cartridge Box. If that is correct it gives a date which the photo can't precede.

The sword, although difficult to see with the tinting seems to be the common M-1860, and is complete with the enlisted man's saber knots.

All in all, again a great photo!

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    02 September 2016

:

Doesn't the yellow insignia, the stripes on the pants and tassels on the saber also indicate a cavalry unit?

The pistol looks like a big Colt, like a Walker or a Dragoon. I thought cavalry units often carried them in pommel holsters. If so, posing for a picture with one in his belt is more to show off his equipment.

Thanks for your astute observations and corresponding additions here; AFTER ALL, aren't we all students at some level, and therefore instructors in waiting ?

Your suggestion that the trooper's side arm in his waist belt is a "Dragoon" size revolver is well taken and appreciated. That suggestion help me put everything in perspective and I now totally agree with you. And as you have pointed out such a brace of Dragoons would be carried on the saddle pommel in the appropriate pommel hostler on each side of the horse's withers.

Identifying insignia colors are in fact yellow for cavalry, red for artillery, blue for . . . . , well you know all that already and it need not be repeated here.

Thanks again, Bob Anderson, for participating and it was nice to make your acquaintance.

Webb Brown
    1st. Maine H. A. (retired)

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by bobanderson View Post
    Doesn't the yellow insignias, the stripes on the pants and tassels on the saber also indicate a cavalry unit?
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the tinting Bob. We all know how these latte sipping, tassel toed, VW driving, keesh eating artistic types take poetic license.

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    02 September 2016 --

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For what it's worth, John Wilder's "Lightning" Brigade (mounted) carried the long Spencer.

Was that the result of some Supply Officer's poor reading capabilities, . . . , or just a routine military S.A.F.U. ? In any event, my military service taught me not to back track on such issues, but to go forward which meant to "fix it". Hence, I would have stopped at the first hardware store in the next town and purchased * enough "Hack Saw" blades for each trooper in the Brigade. At "break time", and a half hour of time, we would have all had Spencer Carbines for the rest of the war. Life is a series of "Opportunities".

* -- The store keeper would have been given the appropriate post office address for the War Department in Washington, D.C. to which to send his invoice for the cost of the saw blades.

Regards,

Webb Brown
    1st. Maine H. A. (retired)