Thread: Yeck Smith parts compatibility

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    9269V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Yeck Smith parts compatibility

Working on a teammate's Yeck Smith - At least I think it's a Yeck. Barrel is marked Yeck, but there are no markings at all on the receiver or side plate. Not even repro markings of the originals. Only marking is "Yeck" on the barrel bottom (covered by the forearm), and the serial number on the barrel hinge. Do NA/Pietta repro parts fit a Yeck? Working on the trigger and the tumbler to get the trigger pull into a usable and safe range for competition (3.5-4 lbs) which I have been partially successful by replacing the sear spring with a light spring-steel coil spring I made. The trigger/sear and tumbler work, but could stand to be replaced soon as the mating surfaces (sear to notches) are pretty well past it.
    Tom Magno, 9269V

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Yeck Smiths are interchangeable wit original

I know Nick had parts that would in a Yeck. I would check with S & S firearms or Lodgewood. Phil can tell you more. Years ago I assembled some of Yeck Smith for him. My wife shot a Yeck carbine for several years. Later I got a original she shot for over 20 years.
    Gerhardt Vikar Sr.
    Richmond Purcell's Battery
    NWT198

Former National IG
    Former NWT Regional Commander.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Many of the Yeck Smiths were sold as kits, and you assembled it, hoping you had all the parts? The kit that I bought was missing some parts and those had to be fabricated. The old man Mike has doing the assembly passed away, so Mike began selling off the parts as kits or spare parts. I bought mine in May 1982. Unlike the majority that were sold as complete assembled carbines, and had frames milled with a chaffered edge and merely blued, I took considerably more time in finishing my receiver to make it look closer to the original receiver and actually took about 3 years to complete it. Atlanta Gunsmith Henry Marshall did the color casehardening and when finished, it looked more like an original Smith than any of the previously completed guns. I sold it at the 107th National (May 2003) out of Chuck Foster's sutler store for $465. It cost $350 new. It is unserialized.
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 09-21-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    9269V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Vikar View Post
    I know Nick had parts that would in a Yeck. I would check with S & S firearms or Lodgewood. Phil can tell you more. Years ago I assembled some of Yeck Smith for him. My wife shot a Yeck carbine for several years. Later I got a original she shot for over 20 years.
    Neither S&S nor Lodgewood's websites mention Yeck compatibility specifically, but both have original and 'repro' Smith parts. I'll contact both for their input. Thanks.
    Tom Magno, 9269V

Team:
    1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Tom
    When I was shooting my Yeck Smith. I had to get a new tumbler and trigger spring . I bought them from S&S . The parts are new made for the original Smith carbine . They fit and work great . My Yeck is a early one with a low serial number . But I believe that Mike Yeck did not change the parts for the Smith from the originals . That is other than the frame .Mike made the recoil spacer and frame as one. S&S has most anything for the original Smith and the parts should fit the your Yeck Smith.
    Good Luck
    John
    C.S.A.
    JOHN H. GRAINGER
    1ST MD. CAV C.S.A.

STARR`S are better than Maynard`s in every way !
    STARR`S do not miss a target on skirmish day !