Thread: Question for Pedersoli Sharps shooters

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Question for Pedersoli Sharps shooters

I have one. The carbine I began with. For the past year I've been shooting my Pietta Smith, and in general, have equaled or bettered my times with the Sharps. And I'm fine with that in general. But, part of me wants to get back to the Sharps in that I think it balances better and is in theory faster.

I found that a harder bullet shot better for me than a soft bullet, using 2f. I have a short chamber too; it will hold about 30 gr of 2f in one of Charlie's tubes if I settle it, maybe 32 gr of 3f.

I'm wondering, would having the chamber and throat deepened be of any help? Or a different bullet than the Rapine .544 Xmas tree ringtail I'm shooting? Or woudl I be better off just having it relined, even though the bore LOOKS good and the crown is good? Or having the breechblock mod done?

Bottom line, the shaprs will get me in the mid 40s if I do my part, my smith will get me in the mid 30s... but I'd like to shoot the sharps. So I guess I'm asking, where should I turn next?

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I have one. The carbine I began with. For the past year I've been shooting my Pietta Smith, and in general, have equaled or bettered my times with the Sharps. And I'm fine with that in general. But, part of me wants to get back to the Sharps in that I think it balances better and is in theory faster.

I found that a harder bullet shot better for me than a soft bullet, using 2f. I have a short chamber too; it will hold about 30 gr of 2f in one of Charlie's tubes if I settle it, maybe 32 gr of 3f.

I'm wondering, would having the chamber and throat deepened be of any help? Or a different bullet than the Rapine .544 Xmas tree ringtail I'm shooting? Or woudl I be better off just having it relined, even though the bore LOOKS good and the crown is good? Or having the breechblock mod done?

Bottom line, the shaprs will get me in the mid 40s if I do my part, my smith will get me in the mid 30s... but I'd like to shoot the sharps. So I guess I'm asking, where should I turn next?
    Maynard

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

See the Moose

Jon,
    I had a Pedersoli Sharps that was a tack driver. A slow talking Southern boy in Midland (Michigan, not Texas) now delights in telling me what a mistake I made selling it to him.

I had Moose make me a bullet mould that Dave France of the 1st Michigan designed years ago. My only mistake was I had the mould made with a flat base so I couldn't use Charlie's tubes. They called it the France Sharps mould. If they produced that bullet with a ringtail to accept Hahn tubes, I think that would do the trick for you.

I'm not using my mould. Let me know the next time you're coming to Washtenaw and I'll let you try it.

PS - we have a line match today. You can shoot your CW guns.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I adjust the chamber length to fit a better tube/load profile to allow for adjustment as you need. I do this as part of the modification I do, but can do it if you wanted to keep your gun stock. I have reamer that I use for this. It is a straight forcing cone design that works well and is similar to the chamber design in your carbine. The charge you can use as now is almost not enough to allow for differences in powder lots.

Regards

Charlie Hahn