Thread: Burnside

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Burnside

Does anyone here shoot a model 5 burnside and how do you like it? Also in the market, let me know. Thanks
    4th VA. inf.
    SCV member Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne camp #1433

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    My first breechloading carbine was a 5th model Burnside, and my backup now is a 4th model (the same but with no breechblock guide screw).

The Minuses:
    They hold different from every other carbine. The buttplate is at a funny angle and it takes some getting use to.

Rifling is gain twist, which is neat, but they are picky about ammo. They can shoot great, however, expect to do more load development that with other carbines. If you get one that hasn’t been shot in 150 years, the first 100 rounds or so will shoot wild. Don’t worry about it right away.

Bullet molds are hard to find these days. Rapine made a good one, but they are very scarce now. Accurate Molds makes several Burnside molds and I highly recommend them. The 560-450B and 560-450BN bullets are kind of long (they roughly copy the 1st model bullet) and for the hollowbase you have to make your own dished base pin. With 5th models you may need to take out the breechblock guide screw to get those to chamber.

Be sure that the breechblock serial number matches the gun. These were fit up individually. A mismatch may work OK, but it might blow out cases. I have seen both.

Brass cases are expensive and the plastic ones only last a season or so.

They shoot high with the issue sights. You will need a “shooter” front sight.

Tumblers and lever springs are often broken.

The Pluses:
    Once you get use to the hold and develop a good load, they shoot well.

Brass cases last forever. I have some that are 35 years old. The cases from Lodgewood fit the breech really well and don’t leak.

0.560” round balls shoot well and the molds are cheap from Lee.

Burnsides don’t foul much on the line and are one of the easier to clean breechloaders. The floating piston at the back of the chamber will foul after a lot of shooting. It takes about a minute to remove and clean it.

It’s easy to find Burnsides with really good bores and tight actions. Unlike a lot of other CW carbines, nobody shot them much, or left them sitting around dirty after the war.

The front sight is in a dovetail and is easy to replace with a “shooter” sight.

Parts use to be a problem, but that is improving a lot.

They are fast loading. If nobody is hitting, I can easily burn 20 rounds in a 5 minute relay.

The best part is, they are just plain fun to shoot!

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Burnside

Thanks Carolina for the insight!! Plenty of good info to keep in mind, now off to find one

regards
    Bob
    4th VA. inf.
    SCV member Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne camp #1433