Thread: Gwyn and Campbell "Union Rifle"

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Gwyn and Campbell "Union Rifle"

Does anyone out there have any experience shooting that Ohio masterpiece, the Gwyn and Campbell carbine? These were also called the "union Rifle" by the maker. Anyhow, I am looking at one with a pretty tight action and sparkling bore and am feeling the itch to see what it can do.

Jim Leinicke
    114th Illinois

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I acquired a real pretty one a few years ago. Shot it once to see if it worked. It did. When I started cleaning after I got it back home I thumbed the hammer back to begin disassembly and the tumbler broke. There are NO spare parts available. Charlie Hahn made a new one for me. After 2-3 years looking I found an entire lock for sale, but almost every piece in it had been welded. I passed on it. Seems the reputation these things had for fragility back then has some truth in it. If there were spare parts out there I'd try to work up a load, but for now it's just a pretty gun locked in my safe.

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7368V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Gwyn and Campbell

Thanks for that, Richard. Sounds as if they simply did not "draw" the temper enough after hardening. In any case, I will take your experience much to heart.

This is not so pretty, having much garage patina. But the bore and action are fine.

Jim

Region:
    Visitor

No problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Leinicke 7368V View Post
    Does anyone out there have any experience shooting that Ohio masterpiece, the Gwyn and Campbell carbine? These were also called the "union Rifle" by the maker. Anyhow, I am looking at one with a pretty tight action and sparkling bore and am feeling the itch to see what it can do.

Jim Leinicke
    114th Illinois
    It has been a long time since I shot mine but I've never had any problems with it.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I acquired an essentially unfired G&C at the not-held-in-Marietta Marietta, Georgia show last year. Moderately bad storage exterior condition, fine action and bore. Needed a correct Rich Cross rear sight. .515 Smith/Maynard bullets with combustible hand-rolled paper cartridges, 35 grains FFFg and Cream of Wheat filler shows very satisfactory accuracy, though the cartridges are not being entirely consumed and either have to be pushed out using a cleaning rod or pushed up into the bore by the next load. Shoots high at 50 yards, of course, haven't tried it at 100. With my loads, 20 shots pretty-much foul the action. Little evidence of gas leak at breech. It's a crowd pleasing novelty and our local rifle range.
    Last edited by Dave Fox; 06-17-2016 at 04:45 PM.