Thread: 1841 Mississippi barrel question

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

1841 Mississippi barrel question

Recently acquired a 1841 Mississippi rifle, that had org the barrel and stock cut back 4 inches. I'm tiring to restore it, looking to have the barrel stretched and lined, rifled with the original configuration .54, 7 lands 1:72 twist rate that was designed for patched Roundball.
    Was wondering if anyone had shot the 1841 in the N-SSA with the original barrel, but using either a Minnie or wilkinson bullet? Any feedback appreciated.
    Shoot the brave officers, and the cowards will run away and take the men with them. -Jackson

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Many of the things posted on this forum are quite routine, some even boring. But this post I have to say is exceptionally interesting. Folks who have been at this sport for fifty or sixty years usually have an answer to about everything, but your inquiry is a real stumper. The idea of stretching a barrel is fascinating. Here's hoping someone comes on line who has done this. There was a Japanese manufacturer in the 70's or 80's that sold a muzzleloader with a two part barrel welded together that became somewhat unpopular. But this was a welded thing, not a stretched thing. Then there is the stock. I haven't heard of anyone stretching wood so hopefully someone will chime in explaining how this is done. Then there is your desire to go back to a seven groove configuration - this from an N-SSA guy. I still remain firmly entrenched in the blinkered camp that many many grooves in a barrel makes shooting a minie ball problematic. You said it was designed for round ball - so when you get it all ready to shoot will you shoot round ball? Or maybe that Wilkenson you asked about.
    Anyway, here is how I would deal with it. I would reline the barrel with a top performing liner from Bobby Hoyt (717-642-6696). Then I would have a really short guy take it to the Small Arms Committee and ask for special dispensation as a dwarf. Most of those guys are hard asses so I would go to Bruce.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Bobby Hoyt stretched my wife's musket barrel and lined it. Cannot see the weld.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Usually the wood is "stretched" by splicing in a corresponding non cut down stock under the barrel band. Does that help. Teddy Borkowski stretched a stock for me, but I am sure there are others, if you can get the requisite wood.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:
    Thanks for the replies. Lou is correct in that this is what I am planning to restore the rifle to its original dimensions and configuration. When done, I will happily shoot patched round balls through it (just not in N-SSA competition obviously). Still curious if others have experience shooting other projectiles, which are N-SSA legal, from an original 1841 Mississippi barrel?
    Shoot the brave officers, and the cowards will run away and take the men with them. -Jackson

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The original Model 1841 Rifle, aka "Mississippi Rifle", in the original 0.54 caliber does not have a rate of twist of 1 turn in 48", as I had originally thought I remembered measuring once. I don't know what I was remembering, but it was incorrect. Jonathan Faucher is correct, the rate of twist is 1x72".
    Thank you for the correction!!!
    JDH
    Last edited by John Holland; 03-25-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    " Then I would have a really short guy take it to the Small Arms Committee and ask for special dispensation as a dwarf"

Egg
    How late at night do you lay awake dreaming this stuff up?

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I still say my way is cheaper.

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:
    Don't know if it makes a difference, but the '41 is a Tryon contract. From the company history, A Business Established One Hunded Years Ago (1811-1911), the original roundball rate of twist was one in six feet. Checked the twist on the 26" of existing barrel on mine, does not make it half way in 26".

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    John,
    I have an original Whitney Mississippi with a great bore. I've won a couple of local round ball meat and blanket shoots with it (.530 ball and .010 spit patch) . Never had great luck with a minie. I have an old Rapine 540250 minie mold that started to show some promise. It's a short light bullet with quite a deep cavity. If memory serves me right, it was starting to shoot somewhat with light charges (in the 30 gr. range) but I never kept up with it. You've rekindled my interest. I'll mold up a few and as soon as I get chance, try them out. Will let you know the results.
    Barry