Thread: Bore leading

Bore leading

My cleaning process for my rifled '42 ends when I get a white(relatively)
    patch. Today out of curiousity , I ran a Kroil soaked patch down which came out black. No metal flakes. A half hour of scrubbing with a choir boy wrapped brush still gave me black. Does this sound unusual? My load is 70 gr. Goex 2F, .676 Rapine minie(.Hoyt .687 bore) MCM lube.

Thanks,

Duane

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Kroil impregnates metal and removes rust and dirt. Remember metal is porous like skin, using Kroil will clean the pours so to speak. Remember Kroil is also the liquid that creeps, and is good for getting stuck screws out because of it penetrating power. Remember it will also creep into the threads of the breech plug, and it is flammable. Could cause unwanted cookoffs :shock:

I use molybdenum disulfide which stops my barrel from rusting on the inside, problem is that it comes in black grease so I never get a clean patch because the moly penetrates the metal.
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

leading

After posting my question, I went back and gave it another try, first with Kroil, then with pure gum tupentine. Finally got it.

Duane

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

I have a...

model 1898 Krag that had some cast bullets fired thru it. I can't seem to get all the lead out. I have gone thru a pack of brushes and am still getting black on patches. :-(

Bill Shuey

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    So, what did the boys shooting lead bullets like in Whitworths do? They didn't have twisted wire bronze brushes.

If your lead is the correct hardness and your lube is good, the barrel won't really "lead up". The black stuff is more than likely powder residue coming out of the pores of the metal. As long as nothing is loading tighter and accuracy is not suffering, and you're not getting rust out of the barrel, you're probably doing everything right enough.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

leading

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ogdan, 11444
    If your lead is the correct hardness and your lube is good, the barrel won't really "lead up". The black stuff is more than likely powder residue coming out of the pores of the metal. As long as nothing is loading tighter and accuracy is not suffering, and you're not getting rust out of the barrel, you're probably doing everything right enough.
    Thanks. That makes sense. It was not loading tighter and the powder fouling was quite soft. It's a new reline. Could it just be part of the break in?

Duane

Duane,
    Could be. All I ever use to clean my skirmish guns is miracle cleaner (1 part Lestoil, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part 70% isopropl alcohol, 8 parts water) and then flush with water. I preserve with the yellow stuff. TC calls it Bore Butter. I buy it at Friendship under another name. I don't shoot on my unit's A squad, but it's definately the gun that keeps me down.
    Greg Ogdan, 11444
    110th OVI

Blue Wonder and Ballistol

I recently tried Blue Wonder with good results on my Armi Sport 1858 Enfield and my Uberti Walker. Make sure you immediately follow with Ballistol to prevent rust.

Here is a link to the Blue Wonder website:

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlackPowder...ml#Traditional
    Paul Marcone
    NMLRA and NRA Member
    www.oxhilltours.com