Thread: No US Firearms Remingtons are coming

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

No US Firearms Remingtons are coming

I spoke to the folks at US Firearms today about the Remington cap and ball revolvers. I was told there ain't gonna be any. Sorry.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

U.S Manufacturers 'Dropped The Ball' Long Time Ago !!!

Back in 1976 I attended the NSAA show in Chicago (the froerunner of the SHOT Show) and went by the Remington booth and tried to interest them in doing a repro of the 1858 Remington Revolver.

The reception I received by those Remington execs was as if I was 'touched in the head.'

Basically stated, Remington could have made a fortune over the past 33 years if they had been producing a quality replica of their '58 Remington revolver, a replica Remington Mississippi, Zouave, etc. Instead, they have let the Italians make the fortunes doing repro Remingtons.

Even today, Remington could bring out a repro of the first Remington rifle (that half-stock Kentucky style) made by Eliphet Remington back in 1816 and sell the heck out of them for a profit-but they won't.

With modern CNC machinery, Remington or any other 'old line' manufacturer could turn our quality repros of their 19th Century products at a reasonable cost and sell those products at a profit thru their dealer networks.

It is and has been a sad, sad situation for our 'old line' manufacturers because they have largely ignored black powder shooters and the replica firearms market while the Italians have been laughing all the way to the banks in Brescia, Italy.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    You have hit the nail on the head. Sadly, I get the feeling that US Fireams would gladly do the deal.

4. Re: U.S Manufacturers 'Dropped The Ball' Long Time Ago !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Southron, Sr.,
    Even today, Remington could bring out a repro of the first Remington rifle (that half-stock Kentucky style) made by Eliphet Remington back in 1816 and sell the heck out of them for a profit-but they won't.

With modern CNC machinery, Remington or any other 'old line' manufacturer could turn our quality repros of their 19th Century products at a reasonable cost and sell those products at a profit thru their dealer networks.
    Remington reintroduced a flintlock rifle about 10-15 years ago. I don't believe it was a huge success, and likely sells now for about the same (or less) then it did in the 1990's.

Colt reintroduced their 2nd Generation blackpowder revolvers (1971-1982) and did not get rich off of it.

Winchester brought out reproductions of some of their lever actions (model 1886, 1895, etc.) and they are now bankrupt.

While there have been some successes with hign end, top quality 19th century firearms being reintroduced (such as Shilo Sharps) I don't see it as a sure thing.

Maybe the key phrase in your post was making them at a reasonable cost .

John Gross

5. Who has`nt hoped for Rem reissue of Rolling Block at reasonable(under $1000.00) price. QC , fit& finish of Ital repros is spotty ,soft internals, etc. Could`nt Rem make a profit on them? I`d buy one instantly- suspect I`d have alot of company.

6. Quote Originally Posted by walter estabrook
    Who has`nt hoped for Rem reissue of Rolling Block at reasonable(under $1000.00) price. QC , fit& finish of Ital repros is spotty ,soft internals, etc. Could`nt Rem make a profit on them? I`d buy one instantly- suspect I`d have alot of company.
    Remington did reintroduce the Rolling Block, in 1997. But under $1,000? Even the Italian repros are close to 1,000. I think the Remington price was $2,799. Go for it!!

John Gross

http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Historic ... Block.aspx

Region:
    Visitor
    [quote=John Gross][quote="walter estabrook":3rjbd71p]Who has`nt hoped for Rem reissue of Rolling Block at reasonable(under $1000.00) price. QC , fit& finish of Ital repros is spotty ,soft internals, etc. Could`nt Rem make a profit on them? I`d buy one instantly- suspect I`d have alot of company.[/quote]

Remington did reintroduce the Rolling Block, in 1997. But under $1,000? Even the Italian repros are close to 1,000. I think the Remington price was $2,799. Go for it!!

John Gross

[url="http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Historical_RollingBlock.aspx"]http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Historic ... Block.aspx[/url][/quote:3rjbd71p]

I had one of these. Quite possibly the poorest made rifle that I ever owned. The forearm was just barely attached. The barrel was loose. There was a long list of problems. Remington eventually replaced it but... They shipped the new gun back in the box I had used to return the old one. That would have been fine but they didn't save any of the packing material. So they just put the gun loose in a cardboard box and sent it UPS. Of course it did not make the trip in one piece.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    You would think that the display piece a company would take to the SHOT Show, or the NRA National Meeting Exhibits would be the best you could turn out, but I was embarrassed for Remington for the shoddy workmanship of the first one they showed at the NRA exhibit. It was vastly inferior to the run-of-mill Italian replicas which this one, in fact, appeared to be. I seriously doubt they made them themselves in this country, and if they did, this particular specimen must have been assembled first thing Monday morning on a hangover or at the close of business Friday, "when the whistle blows, everything goes!"

They were awfully optimistic to want over $2000 dollars for that thing, just because it had the Remington stamp on it. I wouldn't dream of buying one when Navy has as good a one, with double set triggers available, no less.

JMHO, YMMV!
    Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Region:
    Visitor

I think that they only assembled the gun

I read somewhere that they made the barrels but bought everything else. Don't know if that was true or not. What I do know is that the quality of assembly couldn't have been much worse. Also from the discussions on the web at the time I'm sure that my experience was typical.

I've often wondered if this is typical of Remington's Custom Shop or if this gun was the exception.

I know of at least one Remington 700 Safari in .416 Remington a few years back that had a oval chamber, they did replace it but still...
    Jason Connerley
    Cockade Rifles
    old username sharps54