Thread: Looking for a 1st Model Maynard Barrel

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Looking for a 1st Model Maynard Barrel

I was fortunate enough to acquire an original 1st Model Maynard. As it turns out, barrel on it is an 1865 in .40 caliber. I want to keep that barrel but also add a .50 cal. barrel so that I can skirmish with it. I am not sure if I want a 20" or a 26" barrel but I'd be willing to listen to pros and cons of one over the other. If anyone has one, either length, please let me know either by PM
    Thanks
    Last edited by Jack C., 69th NY; 12-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Once you decide on your barrel length I would recommend John Bly for your barrel. He makes barrels in both lengths and his work is outstanding.
    Rascus

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello:

Sorry to ask, but didn't know percussion Maynards came in 40 caliber. Maybe 1865 is the point?
    Can someone please enlighten me. Tx.

Anyway, another proven Maynard source is Larry Romano. His barrel blanks are fully stress relieved. Might be worth your time to signal him at his email address, romanorifle@msn.com. He can do whatever you want in 12L14 or 41L40 steel. John Bly is also fine. Nice to have multiple sources.

Regards,
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Maynard barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello:

Sorry to ask, but didn't know percussion Maynards came in 40 caliber. Maybe 1865 is the point?
    Can someone please enlighten me. Tx.

Anyway, another proven Maynard source is Larry Romano. His barrel blanks are fully stress relieved. Might be worth your time to signal him at his email address, romanorifle@msn.com. He can do whatever you want in 12L14 or 41L40 steel. John Bly is also fine. Nice to have multiple sources.

Regards,
    Kevin Tinny
    John Bly is an excellent source of maynard barrel. Done excellent barrel work for me in past. Good luck. Regards John Doyle # 3463 V

Team:
    Region:
    Yes, tx, but what about the 1865 40 caliber reference, please? Kevin

Team:
    Region:
    Ok, found Internet references to 40 cal, 1865 SPORTING rifles. James Julia had one for sale w shotun bbl. Guess CW issued were only in 35 and 50.
    Regards, Kevin

Team:
    Region:

Smile

I have an 26 inch original in in 38 that can be bored out
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Jack, the barrel length you would be most pleased with may have a little to do with your age and visual acuity. If you are old and blind like most of us you would be better off with the 26" barrel. With the tang sight and a 26" barrel I can see the front sight again and my scores have gone back up. I made expert again in carbine shooting my 1st mod. If you think skirmishing is more of a speed event then the 20" barrel is quicker handling. If you want a heavier barrel Romano make his as much as .100" larger diameter at the muzzle. I stick close to the original dimensions. Right now I can't make you anything. I'm making a new batch of the barrel stubs with the lugs and I won't have them until winter sometime.

Kevin, The .40 caliber percussion was introduced toward the end of the Civil War and was only sold in sporting guns. The .40 caliber was never used by any military that I know of. The term 1865 percussion is somewhat of a misnomer. The U.S bought 20,002 Maynard carbines during the war. Some have serial numbers above 23,000. Where did the other 3000 go to? They weren't all rejected and scrapped, I'm sure some were, but some got made into sporting guns and sold. The true 1865 models all have round tangs and are stamped with the date 1865 on the lower tang.

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Kevin,
    According to George Layman's book on Maynards There were Model 1863 sporting rifles and 1865 models in 40-40 Maynard cartridges. These were first percussion and subsequently were offered in self contained cartridges. Hopefully some of the very knowledgeable Maynard shooters/collectors can add some first hand knowledge to your question about .40 cal. percussion Maynards. I too did not know that percussion Maynards were available in .40 cal.leading me to now have a .40 cal. percussion Maynard and not a .35 cal. that I thought it was.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Jack, consider an original shotgun barrel and have it lined by Bobby and chambered and finished by John. At least the outside would be original. Most 1st model shooters in the N-ssa go for the long 50. Most of the collector community call the percussion Sporting models made on the Civil War 2nd model frames a 1865 model. FACT .. Every 1st model Maynard is really a sporting model made before the war. They just happen to have been bought by southern states in quanity. They could be had in four calibers .37 & 50 and were rifled, 55 & 65s were shotgun calibers. A group of us looked at Jacks barrel and he has an 1865 or later model 40 cal, with the later extractor cuts. Jack, You have a great looking gun.
    N-SSA Member since 1974