Thread: Fayetteville tumbler question

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Fayetteville tumbler question

My gun just started having the hammer fall on half cock today. I previously had already had this tumbler welded to extend the half cock... am thinking it's just time for another tumbler.

Two questions. First: am I right that it's a standard 1855 style tumbler on the Fayetteville?

Second, it's a Harmon made lock. Anyone know if he used original parts, or repro parts as his basis, or made them himself. I mean, yeah, I COULD call him...

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I don't know what your lock may have in it for internals, but no, you can't call Jerry. I am very sorry to tell you he is in a coma and his hours with us are numbered.

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    I don't know what your lock may have in it for internals, but no, you can't call Jerry. I am very sorry to tell you he is in a coma and his hours with us are numbered.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. I know his health had been spotty of late and naturally he was getting up in years... I am glad to have shot with him and had the chance to find out it was his lock on my gun when he was doing time and safety at the Defiance skirmish this year. I hope it made his day to see one of his locks on the line.

In that case, I will see if my Armi sport tumbler might fit it by chance, and if not, just take the lock with me to sutlers in the spring.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The Harmon Lock plate should take original parts. Stay away fro Armispot items as they are metric and will be an issue. I have several new manufacture hi quality tumblers as well as originals. But before you go on a parts buying spree, take it apart as see if the sear has broken off.

Charlie Hahn

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    It might just need to have the bridle screws tightened!
    Paul D. Stoneburner 08037-V
    Mosby's Rangers 029 TW
    N-SSA Sutler Officer

Team:
    Region:
    Naw, it was giving issue at half cock anyhow... half cock being just a mm or so off the nipple. Had someone try to weld a little bump on to it to fix that, helped for a bit, then suddenly the whole tumbler sheared off at the half cock notch. Not just the weld, though that was gone too, but the base metal too.

I have a back up gun, and it's the off season. I'll just bring the lock and a mainspring vice and such to sutlers in the spring and find one, either from Charlie or whoever has some on hand, do the trigger job, and be good from there. I'll just shoot the backup in the spring, that's all.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

broken lock

I helped Jerry work on his lock plates. If you have a gun made by Jerry, he used all original internal parts. I would buy an original tumbler from S & S in New York or someplace else. Originals are not that expensive. You never have to worry about the safety notch or half cock usually, just the full cock for trigger pull. The tumblers are all the same for the 1855 / 1861 and 1863/64 models.
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 10-24-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974