Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cap source?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Cap source?

Ive had trouble with the CCI caps with my 1853 Enfield for a while. Now that they've changed their labeling from "Reenactor Use" to "Multiple use" they have gone from bad to worse. Of course, I discovered this after ordering a 1,000. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a source (mail order) of the German 1080's?

Thx. By the way, if you remember my past posts about accuracy problems with my Enfield and minie balls, the problem has been solved by switching to the Wilkensons. Whudda thot...

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    A number of online merchants sell them... most of our guys order (or get in person) from Back Creek Gun Shop. http://www.blackpowderva.com/.

It's interesting that you are having issues with them even in the Enfield. I have an Enfield myself (not my main gun) and with the bolster being drilled directly into the chamber rather than a drum configuration with right angles, usually ignition is positive even with weak caps.

Shame really, the old CCI 6 wing caps were hot and a good buy.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I just bought 1000 Dynamite Nobel musket caps from Powder Inc.

https://www.powderinc.com/

You can also buy them from Back Creek Gun Shop:

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Steve

Region:
    Also, which Wilkinson are you shooting weight-wise?

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Another thank you

I knew you guys would have the answer. Now, providing they have them in stock and don't charge too much for shipping..... The CCI's I have are 4 winged. When you shoot, you can actually see residue left in the nipple hole. After a misfire, I would have to pull the nipple and pick thru the hole and run a wet pipe cleaner thru. I had to do this
    5 TIMES today. Shooting in the 103 degree desert was bad enough without having to deal with this. I would use a 1080 after the misfire, but it was too plugged to go thru. I swear the 1080's even sound louder. I switched to the 1080's and had no more problems. Today was the worst experience I've had with the CCIs.

Maillmaker, I use the Moose Mould in t 577-420. I size to .576 They have been dead on. Well, dead on for me. I can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards. They taste bad but field dressing them is pretty darn easy...

Team:
    Na
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    I knew you guys would have the answer. Now, providing they have them in stock and don't charge too much for shipping..... The CCI's I have are 4 winged. When you shoot, you can actually see residue left in the nipple hole. After a misfire, I would have to pull the nipple and pick thru the hole and run a wet pipe cleaner thru. I had to do this
    5 TIMES today. Shooting in the 103 degree desert was bad enough without having to deal with this. I would use a 1080 after the misfire, but it was too plugged to go thru. I swear the 1080's even sound louder. I switched to the 1080's and had no more problems. Today was the worst experience I've had with the CCIs.

Maillmaker, I use the Moose Mould in t 577-420. I size to .576 They have been dead on. Well, dead on for me. I can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards. They taste bad but field dressing them is pretty darn easy...
    i use that same mold for deer hunting. Drops them quick with 60 grains of FFF goex!

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Be aware that shipping caps will entail a haz-mat fee. If you're ok with that, that's a good route to go. Usually I order 5000 at a time if by mail so as to spread the haz-mat fee out over more caps.

One sleeve will run you about $75. Haz mat is usually $25 or so, s/h depends on your zip code but expect $10 minimum. $110 for one sleeve would be steep... but $185 for 2.... etc. You get the picture.

If you want only a few tins, finding someone local would be the only other option.

Region:
    I won't name names, but not all vendors charge hazmat for shipping caps. They said they asked their shipper and never got a response so they don't charge hazmat. Don't know how long they will get away with that but you should ask.

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Schuetzen caps?

Anybody know anything about Schuetzen caps? They seem reasonably priced, which concerns me... I know Schuetzen makes good powder.

Also, there seems to be a problem with the powderinc site. None of the links connect. I am really hoping to find a site that also sells #11 caps so I can combine the order

Region:
    Which links are giving you problems? I'm not having any problems using Firefox.

Steve