Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need load for pietta shooters model pistol

Team:
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Need load for pietta shooters model pistol

I have an Pietta 1858 Remington Shooters Model and need a load recommendation. The specs call for a 464 ball but the blogs say a 457 will work very well. My confusion is that the specs say 12-15 grains of 3F and that sounds awful light. If you have this model and can tell me the load you are using it would save this olde bald senior citizen a lot of time and Budweisers.

Russ Levin
    Company C2

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Most International-level shooters are using 12-18 grains of 3Fg. It's a good load. I always thought Tom Ball liked a heavier load than can be accurately controlled...I start getting the gun slipping in my hand at the 20 grain point.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:

Pietta Shooters model

Thank you. Do you use a filler (cm or CW)? How far do you seat the ball? What lube? I appreciate your help.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
    Most International-level shooters are using 12-18 grains of 3Fg. It's a good load. I always thought Tom Ball liked a heavier load than can be accurately controlled...I start getting the gun slipping in my hand at the 20 grain point.

Region:
    I use cream of wheat filler. The ball should be seated as close to the mouth of the chamber as possible. Lube doesn't seem to make much difference, I've seen just about everything used effectively.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    I have a Pietta shooters model, It will shoot well with 20 grains of Goex, but I have gotten good results with 17 grains of 3f Goex and currently use that load. The .457 balls work just fine and I use cream of wheat filler and leave about 1/4 inch between the top of the ball and the end of chamber. I tried other loads between 15 and 16.5 grains of 3f Goex but got much better results with 17 grains.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    I’ve shot one of those for about 15 years with 24 grains of FFg GOEX and this bullet: http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-456-220-1r.htmlI pre-lube them in a lubra-sizer, but also grease the top of the cylinder at the range. With the conical bullet and that much powder, you don’t need any filler at all.
    That’s not a load I would have worked up for the revolver; I pretty much stumbled into it.I got the gun two days before a skirmish, and didn’t have any balls big enough, so I called a team mate who had a Ruger New Army to bring some.I had musket problems that day, and didn’t get to trying out the revolver.The first time I shot it was in team competition, and I just loaded it straight out a CVA flask that had FFg powder in it.With a team of four shooters and eight hanging tiles I hit six in a row, and when I ran out of ammo there was still one target remaining.My team mates heard plenty of trash talk for only hitting one target between the three of them.
    If you want to shoot a squib load, the Big Lube Mav Dutchman bullet shoots just as well, but you will have to use filler. Round balls also shoot well out of it.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    15 grains FFF with 457 ball.
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:

Pietta Shooters Model

Gary:
    Do you use Ox-Yoke lubed wads over the powder with the conical bullets or just seat the bullet o the powder??

Thanks!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101 View Post
    I’ve shot one of those for about 15 years with 24 grains of FFg GOEX and this bullet: http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-456-220-1r.htmlI pre-lube them in a lubra-sizer, but also grease the top of the cylinder at the range. With the conical bullet and that much powder, you don’t need any filler at all.
    That’s not a load I would have worked up for the revolver; I pretty much stumbled into it.I got the gun two days before a skirmish, and didn’t have any balls big enough, so I called a team mate who had a Ruger New Army to bring some.I had musket problems that day, and didn’t get to trying out the revolver.The first time I shot it was in team competition, and I just loaded it straight out a CVA flask that had FFg powder in it.With a team of four shooters and eight hanging tiles I hit six in a row, and when I ran out of ammo there was still one target remaining.My team mates heard plenty of trash talk for only hitting one target between the three of them.
    If you want to shoot a squib load, the Big Lube Mav Dutchman bullet shoots just as well, but you will have to use filler. Round balls also shoot well out of it.

Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    No wads. Bullet is directly over the powder. I don't think there's enough space left for a wad.
    Gary Van Kauwenbergh
    Co G, 114th ILL Vol Inf
    # 10143

"Alle Kunst ist umsonst Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst."
    (In vain the skill and arts of man, When an angel pisses the priming pan.)
    Field Marshal Gebhard L. von Blücher

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I don't have a Pietta specifically but do have an 1858.

From a bench rest, 23 grains of 3f, .7cc of filler, and grease will shoot really really well for me.

Only problem with that is, the gun slips in my hand with that load and accuracy shooting it single handed- even with a glove- is pretty much luck.

I down loaded it to 10 gr of 3f and had my best shoot ever at spring nationals this year. Obviously use enough filler... The 10 gr load isn't QUITE as good off the bench as 23 gr, but having it controlled and shooting a nominal 3" group instead of a 2" group made a huge difference.

In point of fact I'm considering going down to 5 gr and seeing what's what. That DOES sound really low but it doesn't take much oomph to bust a bird. In an ideal world I don't want that gun to move an inch when I pull the trigger.