Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good repro

1. Who makes a good repro

Wich company makes the better repro rifles Armisport or EuroArms and any reasons why ?

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    There's ah reason why it's been 3 hours and no bites on this question. Sorta like that Pandora’s Box deal.

Yer best off doin' ah search on this topic as it's been covered before.

And you'd have to be ah wee bit more specific as well. Which Model? What ya usin' it fer? Huntin', N-SSA, Runnin' ah-round ah field shootin' blanks & fallin' down playin' dead with the rest of da boys?
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

3. Looking to maybe compete and possible hunt with what ever I buy maybe even get out onto the field and fall down and play dead sometime s. If I buy would like it to be a close as possible to original confguration be it a enfield or springfield looking at the 2 band enfield but I like the springfield also . The zouaves are a bit cheaper but they always seemed real farby a few that I shot seemed to do all rifght at 50 yds and has its possiblities . Maybe I need to have one each but at this point I guess that wont happen

I am not sure but I believe reenactors use three band muskets. If you are going to hunt a shorter rifle makes it easier to get around in the brush. Just a couple of thoughts.
    Norm Gibson
    Charter member of the 1st South Carolina Vol. Inf. ACWSA

5. I can see what you might be trying to say some units want you to use the weapon of their choice, what the unit of the day would have used and to keep a standard, not wanting everyone picking or chooseing a diff weapon configuratioin . This would be for target compition and hunting more and for my living history I do blacksmithing and a good friend has gotten me into doing some diff events we demo blacksmithing for the general public

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    About 1994 I borrowed a M1861 Springfield made by Armi-Sport to shoot with the intention that I might buy it. After many misfires I took out the lock and saw the guts were junk. I had been shooting Euroarms Enfields (2-band and musketoon) successfully so am now prejudiced, tho' I understand Armi-Sports have in general improved since.
    14th Miss Inf Rgt, CSA/N-SSA, NRA Life Mbr, no longer shooting

Campaigners do not require three band rifle muskets, but most "mainstream events" do.

For competition, buy whatever you like. In my experience though, the "who makes the best" on rifles and muskets varies depending on the model.

ken's view on the lock of 1861 Armi-Sports is not an isolated incident, to be sure. BUT the lock parts on the 1842 Armi-Sport are pretty darn good. I fiddled with mine a little bit when I got it to get a good trigger pull, and have not had to mess with it since, and that was back in 1996 or 97.
    Chris Hubbard
    146th New York Volunteer Infantry (ACWSA)

8. Ok so if I want a 1861 model Springfield Euroarms would be a better choice perhaps then who would be a better choice on the 1853 3 band Enfield and the 1858 2 band Enfield ?

Romulus, Mi. (A free state with 1st amendment rights)
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    The drop in comb is completely different between a Springfield and an Enfield. Shoulder each to see which one would be more comfortable for you. How it fits you can make a difference!
    Line Sergeant, 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, NWT

10. Yea I noticed that back when I was looking at some I think the enfield fit me better if I recall