Thread: Proposed Glossary of Line Expressions

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Proposed Glossary of Line Expressions

Many skirmishers find it difficult to find a proper expression to use when experiencing a blown shot. I find myself reverting back to common expressions used in the Vietnam era. These were highly adaptable expressions used in most every sentence in those days, but are now deemed not socially acceptable, not even in revolver competition. I'd noticed that at times several of my old Iredell Blues team mates actually had their hair standing on end (sideways -- the part sticking out from under their hats) when I used expressive terms to describe my less than stalwart shooting.
    So I'm wondering -- what are some of the expressions used by skirmishers to express discontent these days - you know, the kind that can be used in mixed company (Whoops! too chauvanistic), I mean that kind that can be used so that no one of any political, religious, or sexual orientation is rendered uncomfortable. I thought if we listed them here it would be a good reference for all folks prticipating in the shooting sports. Or any sports for that matter. It would also be morally uplifting.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    "Son of a mother puss-bucket" is pretty much my go to curse when I don't want to really swear, but if I was actually facing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man I might use other expletives (Bill Murray in Ghost Busters if you don't get the obscure reference).

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Have no need for expletives, thanks.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morton View Post
    "Son of a mother puss-bucket" is pretty much my go to curse when I don't want to really swear, but if I was actually facing the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man I might use other expletives (Bill Murray in Ghost Busters if you don't get the obscure reference).
    You mean like "I feel so funky."

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Only two other suggestions received so far: AS IF!!!! and PUH-LEEEZE!!! I believe these were west coast suggestions. I don't know if they'll cut it next to what I've been using.

Team:
    11th Indiana Zouaves
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Having children at home, I try not to curse very often. So a few of mine would be "mother of freedom", "shut the front door" and "Eiiiiiii!" (pronounced eye).

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Many skirmishers find it difficult to find a proper expression to use when experiencing a blown shot. I find myself reverting back to common expressions used in the Vietnam era. These were highly adaptable expressions used in most every sentence in those days, but are now deemed not socially acceptable, not even in revolver competition. I'd noticed that at times several of my old Iredell Blues team mates actually had their hair standing on end (sideways -- the part sticking out from under their hats) when I used expressive terms to describe my less than stalwart shooting.
    So I'm wondering -- what are some of the expressions used by skirmishers to express discontent these days - you know, the kind that can be used in mixed company (Whoops! too chauvanistic), I mean that kind that can be used so that no one of any political, religious, or sexual orientation is rendered uncomfortable. I thought if we listed them here it would be a good reference for all folks prticipating in the shooting sports. Or any sports for that matter. It would also be morally uplifting.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've been thinking about this thread. I think I seldom say much when I miss. I think a few times I've said, "Man, I thought I had that one!" but most of the time I'm too busy getting loaded up to give it to 'em again!

Now when I hit 'em I make all kinds of noises.

Steve

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

To quote Don "Pappy" Pritchett when someone was belaboring a missed shot, "Shut up and shoot!" Nuff said.
    Bob Propst
    6721V
    York Rangers
    Tidewater Region

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Those days when you are not shooting good...

Mine has always been
    Time to Reach for another can of U Such Beer..
    For those days when you really Suck.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I frequently will say "Damn, that felt so good too!"

That said, if after I've missed 4 or 5 times in a row, unless I'm shooting next to a woman or minor, I will say exactly what's on my mind, say it once as an expletive, and move on.

For instance, we had a few choice words for this one on breechloader at early bird.