Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 colt henry load

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

.45 colt henry load

About a year ago I got an Uberti Henry. Real nice gun.

When I got it, the only flat point .45 mold I had was the Lee REAL mold. Kind of a real blunt semi wadcutter. Seated to work in the action with a wad, I can run 24.5 gr of 2F. Does really well at 50 yards too, but at 100 the miserable BC of the bullet comes into play. Bullets all over the hill, not even all on the target frame.

My buddy shoots the big Lee 405. I tried this, my results were miserable.

Picked up a Lee 300 gr recently. Didn't perform well, though I want to try pure lead yet just in case it was a tad on the skinny side. I also want to try some 3F and see if that gives it enough more oomph to get out to 100 and to tighten the group in general.

Assuming that fails...

What you all shooting in your Henry rifles? I was willing to take a chance on the Lee mold due to the cheapness of them, but before I invest in a more expensive one I'd like suggestions (or sample bullets- I'd be happy to trade you some lead for them, or other bullets if there is something you'd like to try that I have).

Mainly I'd like something for 100 yards, but naturally if it grouped there, it would probably become my go-to mold for 50 as well.

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I have had good success with Lee 255 FN bullet and 29.5 grains of 3f Goex with 45 LC Uberti Henry. at 50 and 100 yards. Lyman mould with similar bullet also shoots well.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks Jim. That would be my next one to try. We'll see how the 300 grainers do with 3f and with pure lead.

I did try upping my charge to use 27 or so grains of swiss 3f to try to get my REAL bullet to do something at 100 yards, but no dice.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Jonk,

I'm wondering if your bullets are being sized smaller than your chamber throat and/or bore diameter(groove to groove) or if your lead is too hard!
    Do you have a nice smooth bore or are there machining marks left in the bore. I've seen some awesome Uberti barrels and some that are absolutely terrible.
    Last edited by ead; 04-13-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The Henry is particularly stubborn, especially when it comes to lube. Most bullets do not have a large enough groove to hold sufficient lube, thus you foul-out too quickly.

I had this problem until I got a new mold. I'll look it up tonight (I hope) and let you know the number. I'll also have to measure my load of 3F.

It's a tack-driver as long as I can hold the darn thing... Typically 4" groups at 100 yds.

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Bootsie is spot on about the lube rings of the bullet. Due to the length of the Henry barrel, most bullets dont have enough rings and or deep enough rings to provide sufficient lube. My experience has been that a bullet around 255 grains with 30-35 grains of 3f will shoot a ragged hole. The Henry also seems to do best with a harder lead bullet. Just my two cents.
    Bobby Hannula
    1st Valley Rangers

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    For what it is worth, I had always heard that the 45 LC cartridge didn't obdurate as well as the 44-40 and was prone to gas leakage and thus not as accurate. I don't know if that is relevant to your question just my 2 cents
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I shoot both 45 LC and 44/40 Henry's. The thin necked 44/40 case seals better and you get less blow back along the sides of the cases. I haven't experienced foul outs with my 45 Colt Henry, but my 44/40 cases are sure a lot cleaner on the outside after they have been fired. Both of my guns shoot well with the loads that I have worked up. The black on the side of the cases with the 45 LC is comparable to what you get with a Maynard which also has a case that allows for some leakage along the sides of the cases. In fact, some powder residue on the cases is quite common with just about every gun that I have ever shot. The 44/40 holds the distinction of the least residue due to the very thin neck.

Another point. If you are shooting a cartridge like the 45 Colt, don't do a full length resize and don't shoot light loads. When the cartridge is fired with a case that is closer to chamber diameter and has a more robust powder charge, it will seal the chamber better. I would point out that you should do a complete resize on semiauto guns to avoid jams. However, with the pistol loads in a 45 Colt this might not be necessary in a Henry every time. But brass will stretch over time.
    Last edited by Jim Wimbish, 10395; 04-14-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    Region:
    After annealing the case necks and neck sizing only, I haven't had any blow back issues.

The bore is real nice, no chatter marks.

I have experienced running out of lube with one bullet I tried. It didnt' group that well anyhow so I abandoned it. For that one I used a grease cookie.

As to the bullet fitting the rifling and throat, I'm sizing at .454. That seems to do the job as I don't get any leading even with hard lead. For the throat... that's another matter. To feed through the magazine tube and lift up properly, I have to seat the bullets to a certain depth. Single feeding I COULD seat them quite a bit longer, to the point that it's hard to chamber them (i.e. work them into the action just because of the shape of the lifter) and they STILL don't touch the rifling. So that's just something with this gun that I have to deal with.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

44/40

I know this thread is about the .45 colt but this is what I shoot in my 44/40. 34 grains of 2ffg old eyesford and a win primer.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-210G-D.png

you may want to try this one in the .45 colt. neat site with a variety of options on molds.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-260F-D.png