Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate .577?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Most Accurate .577?

Which model of .577 bore musket was considered to provide the best accuracy?
    1853?
    1858?
    1861?
    1863?
    Other?

How come?

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    In terms of originals at any rate, I believe generally speaking I'd vote for the 1858 pattern Enfield. Heavy barrel, plus the Parker Hale rifling and bullet design were really well mated.

That said, none of these were target guns and while 1000 plus yard hits would be lethal, it was a case of volley fire, for which any were adequate. And, inside of say 300 yards, all could hit a man sized target. So in practice, I don't know as it was even an issue.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I read (somewhere once upon a time) that in matches the shooters of 48" twist models had points deducted to level the field.
    Wish I could find it... looking but no luck so far.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    "In terms of originals at any rate, I believe generally speaking I'd vote for the 1858 pattern Enfield. Heavy barrel, plus the Parker Hale rifling and bullet design were really well mated."

I can't remember the name of the rifling right now (CRS disease), but it wasn't Parker-Hale, as they didn't come into being until after the War of Yankee Aggression.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    I can't remember the name of the rifling right now (CRS disease), but it wasn't Parker-Hale, as they didn't come into being until after the War of Yankee Aggression.
    Got the same malady, Gil, but wasn't it called Alexander Henry rifling?
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hobbler

You didn't list the Model 1855 as a choice.

If interested the most accurate .577 musket is the coveted Fayetteville.

Why? Because it's a great piece! Nice weight, spectacular balance, doesn't get flagged like a 3 bander in the wind and they're aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Be advised - I'm extremely biased on this issue. What works for me might not hold true for you.

My two cents for what it's worth.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Visitor
    hobbler,
    This was the time of great experimentation as far as rifling and rifles go. I have not heard of matches separated by rifling twist. Most of the time they were given extra length on the string measure for so much weight of the set amount, usually 16 lbs. Rifling twist already were getting into the1/22 area and shooting slugs. Many in the 45 -50 cal. range. Most of the target guns were picket gun and were rifled in the area of 1/32.
    I think but could be mistaken, that the Enfield was rifled on their sys. and the Alexander Henry rifling sys. was used in the english volunteer sys. of target rifles.(and later Martini's)
    Personally I like my five groove 1863 Harprers Ferry pattern. (zouave) I always thought it shot better than the 3 & 7 grooves.
    The difference between the Enfield and springfield is more likely a preference in rifle rather than true accuracy. I have had Enfields which others could shoot very well but they were not for me.

Bob
    R. C. Hubbard Jr.
    7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I'm liable to be looking at a reline on a 1853 soon. Seeing as it'll be whatever diameter and twist and rifling geometry I'd care to try, well, there's much to ponder.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobanderson View Post
    Got the same malady, Gil, but wasn't it called Alexander Henry rifling?

I believe you are correct. I need to dig out Rhodes book on Enfields.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbler View Post
    I read (somewhere once upon a time) that in matches the shooters of 48" twist models had points deducted to level the field.
    Wish I could find it... looking but no luck so far.
    I believe the quote you may be thinking about is one from my brother Southron Sr (3002), of the 24th GA (N-SSA). See his post #17 at the link below:

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthr...1151#post41151

As for accuracy among the list of Enfield patterns, besides the Pattern 1858 Navy Rifle, there is also the Pattern 1858-II or Bar-on-band rifle which had 3-groove rifling like the Pattern 1856 Army Rifle which was greatly hated by the troops in the field. Like Berry Benson's rifle, most of the Army rifles imported were of the Pattern 1856 with 3-groove rifling and sights graduated to 1100 yards. The Army rifles differed from the Navy rifles by having iron furniture while the Navy's were brass. None of these rifles were composed of any "steel" parts until the Pattern 1861 first incorporated a steel front sight post (per Roads' book).

As for the subsequent Pattern 1860 and 1861 Army rifles, there is no evidence on record of any of the Pattern 1860 or 1861 rifles were imported during the American conflict as the only rifles of these patterns made before 1863 were by the Liege trade exclusively under British government contract (and were all delivered into government stores by August 1863). The Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield did not begin making the Pattern 1860 until 1861, and the Pattern 1861 until 1862-63 hence why so many of these rifles were later converted to Snider. According to Roads, no Pattern 1858 Navy rifles were produced by RSAF until 1863-64 when a mere 2,280 were completed.

If by the "Pattern 1861" in your list you intended the Pattern 1861 Artillery Carbine, these were never imported to the United States. But the Pattern 1853 and 1858 Artillery Carbines were imported, and differ from the later production by their smaller leaf-type rear-sight graduated to 300 yards. A great number of these were also converted to Snider, like the example below:

https://www.joesalter.com/category/p...mans-of-London

Lastly, while we compete in various events shooting from the shoulder at distance between 25 and 100 yards, members of the British volunteer corps were required to shoot all targets at 200 yards off the shoulder, and for targets at 500, 600, 800, and 1,000 yards from the knee, Hythe position, if not from the shoulder. This was not just required of all those competing for the Queen's Prize with their Whitworth rifles, but also all the other prize matches where volunteers competed with other pattern arms including smoothbore cavalry carbines, rifled artillery carbines, and breech-loaders. See Post #20 at the link below for the rules and regulations imposed on the volunteers competing at Wimbledon in "1863".

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthr...ight=wimbledon
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 04-03-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66