Thread: barrel relining question

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

barrel relining question

I have an old euro arms Enfield I bought for cheap because the barrel is no good doesn't look like its been cleaned in years. Was wondering about getting it relined or possibly replaced. First question is it safe and has anyone ever had a problem with a relined barrel. I read that they are basically glued in with some kind if industrial adhesive and didn't now how long it would last or if it would come loose at some point just needing some advice on the matter.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    While the job is only as good as the guy who does it, there are many, many N-SSA guys shooting both original and repro guns that have been relined. Some who have tens of thousands of rounds through them.

I haven't yet heard of one coming apart.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I can't speak to relining as I have never had it done. But I don't think you have to worry about the liner coming loose.

However, I can speak to replacement, as I replaced the barrel of my Euroarms P53 Enfield with a Whitacre barrel.

I was new and mistakenly thought it would be a good idea to just replace the whole thing. What I should have done (and what I was asked to do, but did not understand what I was being asked to do) was to utilize the breech off of the original barrel and have it married to a new barrel.

You see, many original muzzle loader barrels were forged in one piece - the snail or bolster end of the barrel was forged as part of the entire barrel. The whole thing was drilled out and rifled, and then the breech end was threaded and the tang/plug was threaded into the end to plug off the end of the barrel.

With modern reproductions, often the breech end of the barrel is a casting, and this is threaded into the barrel, and then the tang/plug is threaded into it.

By keeping your original tang/breech plug and breech, you solve a couple of problems:

1) The tang and breech will fit into your stock with no fitting, since they came out of it.
    2) Your hammer will strike the nipple just like it used to, since you aren't changing that geometry from what it was.

I opted for a complete replacement, and as a result my tang required fitting to the inlay in my stock, and my hammer did not strike my nipple in exactly the right place and had to be tweaked. In face my hammer still does not strike my nipple on center but it does go bang every time so I live with it.

Steve

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Below are links to information on bore relining, which as is noted in the video can be secured with such products as Locktite, Acraglas steel bed or lead-tin solder. Perhaps after you watch the video and see everything that must be done, the cost to reline a barrel may seem a little more reasonable.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10976.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7sQya7tyk
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66