Thread: Approved caliber conversions for a reline

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Approved caliber conversions for a reline

I'm going to be taking my Wesson to Bobby Hoyt for a reline at spring nationals. Is there an approved list, or basically anything goes? Thinking either 44/40 or 45 colt, but would consider others. Just want to make sure that I don't do something stupid.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Wesson calibers

Think about 44 caliber cases. 44 special, colt, russian or 44-40 cases. See John Hollands comments below !!!!!
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 03-09-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: error / double
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Region:
    I think you meant to say isn't, not is...

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I think you meant to say isn't, not is...
    I corrected it, thanks
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:

Double negative?

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Bruce,
    Your post reads "It is not N-SSA illegal". That's a double negative. I think what you want to say is that the 45 caliber is NOT LEGAL.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Jonk,

I relined my Wesson for 44 Mag and I have enough powder capacity with 2f to shoot an accurate load. I use 2f because the frames are cast iron and 3f produces considerably more pressure that 2f. Depending upon personal preference, you could just as easily go with 44/40. The cases are a little more fragile, especially in the neck area, they have a greater powder capacity, and they seal better. It's kind of a toss up to me. You should be happy with either one.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA from 2000 to 2024

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Allowable Caliber Deviation for the purposes of the N-SSA is +/- one caliber. One caliber is 0.010". Simply if a rifle musket is a nominal 0.580 caliber, you may have it
    re-rifled or sleeved to 0.570" or 0.590".

The Frank Wesson Military Carbine is accepted by the N-SSA at the official Wesson designation of .44 Wesson caliber. The allowable +/- one caliber therefore permits you to go up one caliber. The modern cartridge that approximates the original .44 Wesson is the .44 Special. It has been discovered that original Wesson Carbines had very poor quality control in bore diameters, with the average bore diameter being about 0.430". This is why many Wesson Carbines have been re-chambered to .44-40 without having to sleeve the bore.

The standard Wesson Military Carbine does not have an extractor. Therefore, the rim of the case sits at the back edge of the barrel and extraction is done manually by pulling the case out with your fingers. The .45 LC has less rim to grasp than any of the .44 caliber designated cases and may be a bit difficult to extract manually, especially if you have any fouling issues in the chamber. As Jim Wimbish pointed out, the receivers are not robust and the potential for over-loading with a larger case is always a concern. Along with this, the much heavier bullet weight of the .45 caliber series presents a very real structural concern. The original Civil War cartridge loads and bullets are considered to be"anemic" by todays standards. But, please keep in mind, when you start changing to modern calibers, that the frames of these antique arms were made for those "anemic" loads, and that the frames and breeches are not made of modern alloyed steel.

Personally I like the .44-40 because of the tapered case. All you have to do is give the case a slight rearward pull to break it loose and the taper makes the entire case free in the chamber. With the straight walled cases extraction has the potential of being tight all the way out.

John Holland
    Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Region:
    The bore is in good shape. Unfortunately some fool reamed out the chamber to what appears to be the old 44/70 (close cousin to the 45/70), but fortunately never went further, as it is still in rimfire. I'll talk to bobby. If he thinks that a chamber sleeve alone could do the job, I'll possibly go that route, but then, part of me says that if I'm going that far, might as well just have the reline done.

I'm leaning to 44/40 I guess at this point. I already have a couple molds that would work with that.

Beyond that, the hammer has a crack in it. I'm thinking of just leaving it with Eric Schuessler to machine a replacement, as it's a very simple hammer, and simply retire the existing one, which he can use as a pattern. He thinks he can do the CF conversion too.

Then again, if Bobby can do that as well, I might just have him do it all while he has it.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    As you wish.