Thread: i shoulda been an astronaut

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

i shoulda been an astronaut

I think I may be a genius... In my own little world.

Seens its zero degrees out and the wind chill factor is 30 plus below im in my shop with the fire roaring working on getting things ready to shoot. So fumbling around dipping Maynard bullets with a pair of pliers, with a few dropped in the bottom of my lube can and a few runaways scattered around the floor, I start getting ticked off. So I says to myself, self, theres gotta be a better way. After wandering around scratching my head, and a few other areas... I looked at a small box of old 44 cal. revolver rounds on the shelf and got an idea... I think them are loaded in the old fashioned rubber caplugs... Pulling one apart and tossing the 12 or so grains into the fire made the same little poof sound and smoke that went off in my head with my idea moments before. Taking the empty caplug and pushing it over the nose of the .515 bullet to just above the top grease ring holds the bullet perfectly for dipping in the hot Lens Lube!!! Then wipe the base off on a paper towel and give the caplug a little pinch right above the bullet tip and it is easily released perfectly on the tray. No fumbling with pliers trying not to damage the soft bullet and no more rolling around on the floor! I would put pictures on here but I havnt gotten my kids to show me how to do that yet.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Nevlezer View Post
    I think I may be a genius... In my own little world.

Seens its zero degrees out and the wind chill factor is 30 plus below im in my shop with the fire roaring working on getting things ready to shoot. So fumbling around dipping Maynard bullets with a pair of pliers, with a few dropped in the bottom of my lube can and a few runaways scattered around the floor, I start getting ticked off. So I says to myself, self, theres gotta be a better way. After wandering around scratching my head, and a few other areas... I looked at a small box of old 44 cal. revolver rounds on the shelf and got an idea... I think them are loaded in the old fashioned rubber caplugs... Pulling one apart and tossing the 12 or so grains into the fire made the same little poof sound and smoke that went off in my head with my idea moments before. Taking the empty caplug and pushing it over the nose of the .515 bullet to just above the top grease ring holds the bullet perfectly for dipping in the hot Lens Lube!!! Then wipe the base off on a paper towel and give the caplug a little pinch right above the bullet tip and it is easily released perfectly on the tray. No fumbling with pliers trying not to damage the soft bullet and no more rolling around on the floor! I would put pictures on here but I havnt gotten my kids to show me how to do that yet.
    Clever use. Personally I prefer a lube-sizer. All I dip lube now is loaded sharps rounds, and the paper base makes it's own grasping handle.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Ditto Jonk: RCBS lubri-sizer (great price via Ebay) is the only way to go!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    111th Ohio Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Mike Rouch from the 110th OVI got me to try using an electric skillet with a home made wire basket. I can load about 100 rounds in the basket then dip it in the MCM lube I have melted in the skillet. Doesn't take a lot of time to heat it up. I do dip my minies and ballard rounds in it first and wait till some of the lube leaves so the .50 cal carbine rounds don't drown. I leave them in about 25 to 30 seconds and get a very nice thin coat of lube.

The only problem I encountered was my wife getting mad when she found out I bought a new electric skillet to to this in and she didn't get one........
    Pvt. Marty Richards
    111th OVI

A distant relative of Genl. Stonewall Jackson but a Strong Union Man!

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmeu View Post
    Mike Rouch from the 110th OVI got me to try using an electric skillet with a home made wire basket. I can load about 100 rounds in the basket then dip it in the MCM lube I have melted in the skillet. Doesn't take a lot of time to heat it up. I do dip my minies and ballard rounds in it first and wait till some of the lube leaves so the .50 cal carbine rounds don't drown. I leave them in about 25 to 30 seconds and get a very nice thin coat of lube.

The only problem I encountered was my wife getting mad when she found out I bought a new electric skillet to to this in and she didn't get one........
    Excellent!!! Anybody ever try cooking with "Lens Lube"??? Maybe my wife won't mind so much if I share a new skillet with her........

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Bump to top for Yakiman....

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I also use a 44 caplug to hold my Maynard bullets. Dip them into molten beeswax/lard mixture. Squeeze the caplug to release it into a tray. When it colls down I run them through Lee press mount sizer. You gotta clean the accumulated glop off your press but it works
    Chris Sweeney