Thread: Maynard bore diameter

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Maynard bore diameter

Hey guys,
    Just got my Maynard back from Mr. Bly with a brand spanky new flash hole and im trying to get her back in action. Its been locked in the back of my safe collecting dust for about 15 years but im the one that's a bit "rusty". Talking with a buddy of mine yesterday I learned that I was doing quite a few things wrong with the loads I was using back then. My old load was an unsized Lyman 515139 C bullet that measures about .517 at the widest part, dipped to the top of the grease rings in Len's Lube, on top of 30 gr. Goex 3F, in a reg. capacity brass tube with the bullet seated to the ridge in the case. No filler and no headspace in the case, but a lot of space between the bullet and the rifling.
    Question 1: How tight should the bullet be in the bore? I "hammered" one in thru the breech to about the rear sight then tapped it back out with a rod, it measures about .511 at the widest part best I can tell. (These are a pain to measure very well with 3 lands and groves)

Question 2: Should I be using filler to bring the bullet up so it is starting to engage the rifling? If so what is the preferred filler? I would like to sti

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I've tried every possible combination over thirty years just to see what works best. I found the reduced cases with 21 grains of 3F Goex. I bumped it up to 27 grains so the bullet would engage the rifling when I closed it up. Absolutely no different in accuracy other then I wasted 6 grains of powder. I went back to 21 grains.
    I found that 30 grains worked best in the full cases and bumping it up to 36 pushed the bullet forward to the rifling again with no better result then the 30 grain load.

I dip them to cover the bottom two grooves and leave the top groove to fill up with fouling from previous round. Digging my rounds out of the backstop shows they are full of fouling. With lube in that top groove it wouldn't pick up fouling as it was already full. That said......I also noted no difference in accuracy or fouling problem with the top groove full of lube or not. It just made me feel better knowing fouling was going out the bore with the rounds. I only use a 50/50 mix of beeswax/Crisco.

Oh,,,,,and I size my rounds to .515
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Thanks P.J.
    Maybe if I listen to only your advice St. Peter will take me off of Gods naughty list. Or are you giving me cooked up advice to get back at me for a previous post?!?!?!

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Does anyone else have any input or is that pretty much the standard Maynard load? Im open to most any ideas.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Hey Ben,

I have been shooting my 2nd Model Maynard since the mid 80's. I shoot the full capacity cases with 35 grains of 3F, no filler because the bullet touches the powder when inserted. I use the Moose 400 grain Smith/Maynard bullet - .520" diameter sized to .518". I lube my bullets with MCM lube, then size. I have used this combination the entire 30 years I have been shooting it and have made no changes with the exception of switching to the Moose bullet from the heavy Rapine bullet. The combination works for me and I have seen no reason to change...like they, "say shoot what works for you."
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Another variation - my original #2 Maynard when bought had the a prettiest looking barrel inside; downside it would keyhole most shots and shot wildly left. Got a Hoyt liner and died and went to Heaven. The thing became absolutely reliable. I shoot 28 grains fffg behind a 500 grain 50/70 bullet out of two different moulds depending on how much the case mouth has expanded. The 28 grains almost reaches the base of the bullet. No filler. Lube is beeswax, neetsfoot oil conglomeration invented by Marty Rogers of the Iredell Blues -- base dipped in and then excess spread around the side when loading in case.
    My ballistic theory is the big bullet needs less speed to stabilize.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Ben, I used to shoot the Rapine 520300 sized to .518 with 30 grains of FFF or a Lyman 515139 recut to a .518 bullet but now I shoot a 1st mod so I can see the sights. It is lined by Hoyt. I now shoot a modified Lyman 515141(50/70 bullet) with one ring and groove removed. It weighs about 370 grains. I use Charlie Hahn's reduced capacity cases with 24 grains of FFF Swiss and SPG lube. If I can keep the front sight on the target while I break the trigger, the target will break. I know that sounds simple but as I get older it gets harder to get right.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Neislezer View Post
    Thanks P.J.
    Maybe if I listen to only your advice St. Peter will take me off of Gods naughty list. Or are you giving me cooked up advice to get back at me for a previous post?!?!?!
    BEN......GOD IS VERY FORGIVING!!! Soon as you got a Maynard in yer hands St. Pete removed any black marks in Thy Great Book! And that load is one that has worked awesome in all the Maynards me and my kids shoot. Maynards will shoot just fine with many different loads. This one hit EXACTLY where you aim the gun (a problem sometimes :roll: ) At 320 grains it save lead over Eggs 500 grain monster and the many other heavy bullets used. The load also saves on powder at 21 versus 28-37 others use. I know of many using 21 grains and have no problem hitting everything. I've also experimented on the stake and noted slower moving bullets make bigger holes.

And if the Pope in the 1200's hadn't ah shortened the list from 660 Commandments to just 10 you'd have found God's instructions on shooting his finest creation.....the Maynard.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Getting hits really deinsentivizes one to try alternates. Retrieve about 60% of the lead I shoot into the wood pile.

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    It must be a Maynard thing. Or... I really am back on the good side of the "Big Man". I just fired a few rounds out my shop door, its G.D. cold up here so I stay close to my woodstove! Old rounds I found in a box I had in a drawer with shotgun hulls. Been loaded over 15 years!!! Shots 1 thru 3 fouled the barrel, 4 thru 6 found the spot. This gun once had a 2-3 inch group offhand at 100 yards then went to couldn't hit paper at 50 yds. after one season. the reason.... BAD IGNITION. An all original 2nd model Maynard with a better than new Hoyt lined barrel, as good as scrap!!! Until now... Just got her back the other day from Mr. John Bly With her new flash hole and she's better than ever! Couldn't resist getting her dirty. Working on new rounds now, but, like I said, the rounds I shot today have been loaded and sitting in a drawer for over 15 years!!!
    I computer dumb and cant figure out how to put a pic of the target on here, but the first 3 shots got closer every shot and the last 3 (of 6) were a nice string of 2 10's and a 9. all touching. Thank you again Mr. Bly!