Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romano Spencer rifle loads

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Romano Spencer rifle loads

Anybody have a Romano Spencer rifle in .56-50? Do they use Starline brass, or do you have to use cut-down .50-70's?
    Glenn M. Kaye

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Larry recommended going to Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. The Starline cartridges are supposed to be iffy, RMC has brass specifically for the Romano Spencers.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Region:
    Hmm. Saw a used one for sale at a good price (relatively). Already have an ArmiSport that shoots pretty well, and am wondering if it's worth replacing it with a Romano. But now I'll have to factor in new brass (and probably dies), too. Anybody care to comment on how great they are (or not)?
    Glenn M. Kaye

Team:
    Region:
    BTT. Nobody out there shooting a Romano Spencer?
    Glenn M. Kaye

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Hello, Dr:

We have emailed each other before on cartridge boxes.

I have three Romano Spencers, a rifle and two carbines. They are superb. Please be aware that Larry changed the rifling twist and barrel steel about 10 years ago to a faster twist works a "little" better. Please contact me at kevintinny@hotmail.com. I can send you a copy of my Romano Spencer notes. There are enough of his Spencers in use to know that nothing is better. RMC brass is the best stuff. If from RMC and used with CH4D 56-50 dies for a "Romano" with Larry's 315 gr, single grease groove bullet (or equivalent profile) in 16Bhn alloy, sized to .512", with 35 -40 gr GOEX 3Fg and SPG/MCM LUBE, accuracy will only be limited by your eyesight. Drop me a note if you want lots more info.

All brass cases will work harden regardless of alloy, etc and shoild be annealed at 1,000 degeees F.

One caution, from Larry to me:
    He uses only one reamer and one set of bore dim's for both liners in ORIGINAL and Italian repro's and his copy of the 1860 Spencer. He does NOT have or use another reamer for chambers that will use STARLINE cases.
    He said his longer, fatter 50 Maynard bullet is NOT recommended for his Spencer 56-50 bores because it must be excessively sized and becomes distorted.

Regards,
    Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 03-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Region:
    Mr. Tinny is probably the most knowledgable person other than Larry Romano himself on how to wring the best performance out of a Romano Spencer.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks, Mike:
    Eddie Brunner, who can be contacted here and on CAS/SSS, is especially experienced with Romano's. So are the members of the N-SSA Duff's Team. Several on the CAS/SSS Forum have shared LOTS of useful, first-hand commentary.
    Regards

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello, Dr:

We have emailed each other before on cartridge boxes.

I have three Romano Spencers, a rifle and two carbines. They are superb. Please be aware that Larry changed the rifling twist and barrel steel about 10 years ago to a faster twist works a "little" better. Please contact me at kevintinny@hotmail.com. I can send you a copy of my Romano Spencer notes. There are enough of his Spencers in use to know that nothing is better. RMC brass is the best stuff. If from RMC and used with CH4D 56-50 dies for a "Romano" with Larry's 315 gr, single grease groove bullet (or equivalent profile) in 16Bhn alloy, sized to .512", with 35 -40 gr GOEX 3Fg and SPG/MCM LUBE, accuracy will only be limited by your eyesight. Drop me a note if you want lots more info.

Regards,
    Kevin Tinny
    Larry restored my original M1860 Spencer Rifle to full length by rebarreling it with one of his barrels (in .56-50), and I'm using his 315 gr bullet so can well attest to its superior accuracy as spec'd by Mr. Tinny. In fact, my first three shots (unfortunately sighters) in individuals at the National, the very first time I competed with my rifle, printed two 10's side-by-side between the third shot in the X-ring -- just about as tight a group as you can get putting three fingers together. If only I could have held that group together long enough to have printed it on my scoring target, I would have been doing great! BTW, I'm using Starline brass and not having any issues.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Kevin Tinny,

I have a pre 2000 Romano Spencer carbine with a Douglas barrel. Just curious what the change in twist was that Larry made and any impact on the powder charge used. I use the Romano single grease ring 315 gr. bullet with slightly hard lead sized to .512". I purchased the brass from Larry when I bought the gun and I have the 4D die set, also from Larry.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    Region:

Romano Spencer Twists

Hello:

Larry's first Spencer serial numbers began at 10400 and were hand engraved. All these had a 36" twist and ONLY Douglas BUTTONED barrels. 36" was as fast as Douglas could cut in 50 caliber. Later, when Larry began CUT-RIFLING his barrels, he used serial numbers beginning with 10000, stamped, and shortened the twist from 36" to 32" so that he could use the shorter 315/320 grain bullet and up to 40 grains of 3Fg for less drop at 100 yards.

Larry said he still uses his personal 36" twist with the 315/320 bullet and 40 grains.

At our velocities, using 35 to 40 grains will not change the stabilization, so if your bullet is not wiping/ key-holing, it has all the stability and accuracy you'll get. Crimp only enough to round the case lip. Either SPG or MCM lubes are fine. I found no meaningful accuracy difference between 35 and 40, BUT prefer 40 for less drop.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 03-26-2020 at 12:19 PM.