Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romano Spencer rifle loads

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Kevin,

Thanks for the information on the twist rates. My serial number is 10017. If what you say is correct, then I must have one of Larry's barrels and not a Douglas. Any chance Larry used Douglas barrels in the 10000 serial number range?
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Romano

Hello, Jim:

Thanks for sharing your number. My rifle is 10022. The original owner, an active N-SSA member, said that he waited three to four years before it was delivered in July, 2008. It sat unfired until I bought it in March, 2009. The owner preferred his Romano 1st Model Maynard. The carbines are 10031 and 10032, purchased directly from Larry, also in March, 2009. I do not know exactly when they were built, but Spencer rifle 10022 HAS a 36" twist DOUGLAS barrel and the two carbines have his, not Douglas' barrels with 32" twist. Based on what he told me on several occasions, no Douglas blanks were used within the 10000 series, BUT my 10022 is clearly an exception.

Easy enough to check the twist rate by running a tightly fitted tip and patch that follows the rifling. Pick a spot on the rod and mark it at 12:00. Push til that mark is at 6:00 and multiply the distance the rod moved by 2. Please let me know what you find. Tx.

Regards,
    Kevin

Edited to reflect corrected frame number ranges being FIVE, not SIX digits and 10022 with Douglas barrel. JKT.
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 03-26-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Team:
    10395V
    Region:
    Kevin,

I checked the twist rate on mine and it appears to be 1 in 36. As I indicated in an earlier post, I bought the gun from Larry long before he was making his own barrels. Two carbines that I bought from him after this one had Hoyt barrels. So it would appear that he was using serial numbers in the 10000 range for Spencer's with Douglas barrels. Both of the Hoyt barreled carbines have two digit serial numbers.
    Jim Wimbish

Team:
    Region:

Romano

Fascinating, Jim:

What I've shared is based entirely upon many pointed conversations with Larry, during which he was consistently and assuredly shared serial number ranges, barrel makers and twists and repeatedly commented that he had never used a Hoyt on any of his Spencers. Please, I am not questioning what you are sharing with us. I have something else to speak with him about so I'll see what he says about a six-digit SN with a 36 twist and Hoyts on his Spencer carbines. Whatever I learn will be passed along here. Thanks so much. The more important thing is that the 315/320 Romamo bullet will shoot well in 36- 34 twists.

By the way, please tell me how you know that the carbine barrels are Hoyt's and what twist, please? Tx. Kevin

Team:
    Region:

Romano Spencer Twists

Sorry, Jim:
    Were you indicating that your carbines with two-digit sn's were without either a ten or hundred thousand prefix, please?

Team:
    10395V
    Region:
    Kevin,

My Spencer has a five digit serial number starting with 10 and was made with a Douglas, not a Hoyt or Romano, barrel blank. The two carbines with Hoyt barrels are Maynards with 2 digit serial numbers 3x and 5x. They do not have any leading digits in the S/N. I did not say that I had a Spencer with a Hoyt barrel. I have a 1 in 36 twist Douglas barrel. Hope this clears everything up.
    Jim Wimbish

Team:
    Region:
    Hello, Jim:

Long chat with Larry this morning. Sorry for my previously posted incorrect info about 100,000 serial number range.
    Here is his (THREE -TIMES CHEERFULLY CONFIRMED TO ME TODAY)CORRECTED serial number info for HIS Spencer repro's:

ONLY used 10,XXX serial number range. No single, double, triple digits without the "10" (thousand) portion.
    Gardner - Douglas bbl's on early ones all had 36" twists. About 10 - 12 years back he began to make his own Spencer barrels and uses only 34" twist. He recalls using a Hoyt barrel with three lands/grooves and a 56" twist, ONCE, for a Spencer carbine because the buyer wanted that rifling. Otherwise he has no recollection of Hoyt's on his Spencers. Again, he shared that his 315/320 grain, single grease groove bullet will shoot fine with either twist.

More info as of 11SEP19:
    Douglas BUTTONED 36" twist barrels on Romano Spencers can have EITHER narrow lands and wide grooves or EQUAL width lands and grooves. Romano-made CUT rifled Spencer barrels have only 32" twist and EQUAL width lands and grooves.

So if uneven width lands and grooves, apart from serial number and twist, the barrel is a Douglas.

Further examination of two of my Romano "two-digit" frame numbered Spencer RIFLES 10022 and 10030 clearly show DOUGLAS, buttoned 36" twist barrels ---- so at least these two RIFLES were barreled with Douglas', probably left over. They are 4140 and just fine. Never say never. Kevin
    Edited to include frame numbers on the two rifles JKT.
    Since Sept 2019, I have acquired two of Larry's first grouping Spencers in the three-digit range, a rifle and a carbine, both mint. Each clearly has a 36" twist Douglas, narrow lands and wide groove barrel.
    Regards,
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 03-26-2020 at 12:25 PM.