Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help new shooter get started

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Help new shooter get started

i am looking for a molding pot, powder drop an anything else that goes with loading rounds for a musket.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Steve,
    Recommend you look to your teammates first. We also have a host of sutlers you can pull up from the n-ssa home page. Think in terms of dipping your powder with a pre-set powder measure out of come kind of bowl and pouring it into your cartridge. A powder drop is something a Democrat would use.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    What's wrong with a powder drop?

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. They are about $20. Mine drops BP within a tenth of a grain. I use a RCBS Chargemaster scale to set the device, and then you can go to town.

The problem I had with dippers was how you jiggle the dipper causes powder to settle differently in the dipper. I'm sure you could get consistent with one but I sure live my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

Here is a review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyLVYjm0ZA

Anyway, Steven, good luck on your quest.

Steve

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

lee

I have 4 of them but use 'em for smokeless powder. I tried with black but too inconsistent. so now I use a lee 12 gauge load all 2. I just change out the bushings for different powder charges, it works great and is very consistent.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    For melting pot I use the low cost Lee. Mine has drop spout but I dont use it - plugged with nail -- use dipper -- dont like the constant drip. Once getting nice bullets set dial to that temp - around 7 or 8 usually.
    Watch out - dont use wheel weights or other mixed up lead for minies.

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

melting pot

I have 2 - 5 lb pots and one 10 lb production pot both are used I also have a bullet dipper ladle. I also agree with the gentleman who said don't use wheel weights, they are too hard and most now days are zinc. if you need lead that's good and soft I have it. If you have an interest call me 724 679 1619, Bryan

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For melting pot I use the low cost Lee. Mine has drop spout but I dont use it - plugged with nail -- use dipper -- dont like the constant drip. Once getting nice bullets set dial to that temp - around 7 or 8 usually.
    Watch out - dont use wheel weights or other mixed up lead for minies.
    Yep have been using the Lee mag 20s for years one was a bottom but I tac welded it shut and removed the rest.
    it would plug 50% of the time or drip bad the other 50%

just dip now.

also have some lyman big dipper or what ever they call them.
    they work fine and low $ plus I use them for hard lead and the lees for soft.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Your ID number suggests that you've been a member for a few years at least. Is this for you or a teammate?

If you need a mold, I could probably scare up a Lee that I'd consider donating to the cause. Don't know what diameter you need, or what style/weight you want, but I had good luck with it when starting out. But I don't want to give it away if the gun in question hates the bullets. If you want to try some (and need a mold that is) let me know, I'll send maybe 20 trial bullets. It's the trashcan style bullet.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Steven,

Team mates, the bulletin board and even old issues of the skirmishline (if you can get your hands on them) are great sources of info.

That being said - what works for one skirmishes may NOT work for you, likewise for your arms not every load will work for everyother similar type of arm. You have to find what works best for you and your piece and refine from there.

Make sure your projectiles are properly sized!

Finally - esp during the winter season eBay can be a great source in finding low cost quality casting and reloading equipment. Lee melting pot. Lee/rcbs powder drop, powder scale and if you use sizing dies a lubrisizer.

Personally -for me my charges are thrown by weight not volume.

Slow and steady wins the race - it will take you some time to get things "just so" and the time you invest will pay big dividends and make your skirmishing experience all-the-more rewarding and enjoyable once things fall into place.

There re are a lot of fellow skirmishes out there willing to help so don't ever feel you're working in a vacuum.

Best of luck and I hope our paths cross on the line in the near future.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Steve,
    Recommend you look to your teammates first. We also have a host of sutlers you can pull up from the n-ssa home page. Think in terms of dipping your powder with a pre-set powder measure out of come kind of bowl and pouring it into your cartridge. A powder drop is something a Democrat would use.

I have an RCBS powder drop and I DINT vote for George McGovern for prezident.