Thread: Sizing issue

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    5036V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Sizing issue

I have one of them new fangled cartridge rifles, an 1871/78 Beaumont in 11.35x52R. My groove diameter is .451+or -, the bore diameter is .434. If I were to size down any of the Lyman .457 bullets to .451, would the bullet be unrecognizable and unable to be lubed? In my .45-70 BPCR shooting, I cast a 30/1 lead-tin mix. Should I use that, or use musket lead, or hard range lead? I don't want to piddle away $40 on a sizing die and find I need to paper patch it. Thanks.
    Tom Fuller, 5036V,
    29th Wisconsin Inf.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Tom, Look for a mold size that is closer to your needs, maybe even smaller. Some people are having good results with 45 hollow base minnies / ashcan molds. If it needs to be larger, push a dowel into the hollow base to swage the base larger. Good luck. Tried a round ball yet?
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    5036V
    Region:
    Good idea! I may have some .451 ball out in the barn. I see that Lyman makes some .45 Colt moulds in .452 diameter. I read somewhere that the twist is 1/29 so I don't need a long bullet. I'll have to dbl chk the twist. Thanks!
    Tom Fuller, 5036V,
    29th Wisconsin Inf.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I would suggest putting up a post for Jim Brady or Tim Lyne, between them they have a lot of experience with what I call "odd ball" cartridges.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I have one of those. I have the dies and brass too. But I haven't gotten that far yet, as to shoot it.

I have a 300 gr lyman .452 that should work if mine is as tight as yours. I would double check though as it should theoretically be .457.

However, in the very similar other black powder cartridge guns I have, they seem to universally like what my muskets do: namely 35-45 gr of 3fg, grease cookie, cornmeal filler, and bullet lubed with SPG. Full tilt loads of 2f do well too, but usually shoot high.

I usually shoot pure or at least soft lead. 40:1, 30:1, 20:1, whatever. I find wheelweights seem to be a little too hard for these to group well. But that's just me, by all means try 'em too.

Don't discount smokeless. Most black powder cartridges, beaumont included, can handle mild smokeless loads. Trail boss and 5744 and 4198 all do well.

Team:
    5036V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I have one of those. I have the dies and brass too. But I haven't gotten that far yet, as to shoot it.

I have a 300 gr lyman .452 that should work if mine is as tight as yours. I would double check though as it should theoretically be .457.

However, in the very similar other black powder cartridge guns I have, they seem to universally like what my muskets do: namely 35-45 gr of 3fg, grease cookie, cornmeal filler, and bullet lubed with SPG. Full tilt loads of 2f do well too, but usually shoot high.

I usually shoot pure or at least soft lead. 40:1, 30:1, 20:1, whatever. I find wheelweights seem to be a little too hard for these to group well. But that's just me, by all means try 'em too.

Don't discount smokeless. Most black powder cartridges, beaumont included, can handle mild smokeless loads. Trail boss and 5744 and 4198 all do well.
    Jonk, Do you have the actual 11.35x52R dies? Maybe we'll have to work something out. I was given the rifle if I would work up some BP loads. My daughter's father-in-law made up some cases out of .50-90 brass using the Lebel, Hungarian, and .45 ACP dies. I made some also. He had used Trail Boss, I used some Wano, just to fire form. Shot high using Lyman .457124 bullet. Need to trim length so ordering a case trim holder. When cases trimmed, will get shooting, weather permitting. Thanks for info.
    Tom Fuller, 5036V,
    29th Wisconsin Inf.

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Wow it's been many years since I had a Beaumont but I seem to remember shooting the 457124 sized to 452 and pushing it with the reliable dose of 10 grs of Unique with a dacron tuft. I have been playing with Trail Boss in some other calibers with some success. One thing with T/B is that it is very bulky and needs no fillers. You'd probably be quite safe using 45-70 Springfield data in the Beaumont.

C'mon Lyne you still have one of these beasts. What are you running through yours?

Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I use lyman 457132 postell , 457121PH ,457193, rcbs 45-500BPS , and so one , without resizing , just lubed in my springfiel trapdoor 1884 and sized and lubed at .451 in my volunteer PH or .450 in my Rigby Artax . Accuracy is 3 MOA at 100 meters for the trapdoor and 1.5MOA for the rigby and the volunteer .

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by le piaf View Post
    I use lyman 457132 postell , 457121PH ,457193, rcbs 45-500BPS , and so one , without resizing , just lubed in my springfiel trapdoor 1884 and sized and lubed at .451 in my volunteer PH or .450 in my Rigby Artax . Accuracy is 3 MOA at 100 meters for the trapdoor and 1.5MOA for the rigby and the volunteer .
    Sparrow -- yer gonna have to convert this to some sort of Limy verbiage for this group to understand.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    In principle, i do have the actual dies; however, as they appear quite old and don't have a maker's name on them (caliber was listed on the outside of the box only) I can't promise what would happen.

I've been waiting to get a file and trim die from CH4D to form the 50-90 brass but haven't gotten that far.