PDA

View Full Version : Round ball in a musketoon?

B-Davis
12-02-2014, 07:58 PM
I remember a few years ago going to a local woods walk and saw a gentleman shooting rounball out of a Parker-Hale musketoon. Now that woods walk has decided to go round ball only, and I am trying to figure out the right load. John Holland and others state that it shoud be one grain of powder per caliber. (58 grains for 58 cal) should any thing else be helpful? I ws thinking about maybe coating round balls in alox. Worth it?
Any other suggestions? Will the point of aim change? Inquiring minds would like to know!

bryan

Ibgreen
12-02-2014, 08:14 PM
If the twist rate is 1:48, then accuracy will suffer using a patched round ball unless the powder charge is reduced (great for paper, not for deer). A 1-72" will handle a PRB better with a hunting charge.

B-Davis
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
If the twist rate is 1:48, then accuracy will suffer using a patched round ball unless the powder charge is reduced (great for paper, not for deer). A 1-72" will handle a PRB better with a hunting charge.

This would just be for target shooting, for now...I may be looking for a good flitter in the future, but may have to do a trade to get that flinter. I have a plymouth rifle needing a nipple and a rear sight. I love that gun, but also would like to have a flint for deer next season.
Would like to learn to experiment and perfect the flint gun, if I can find one.

Ibgreen
12-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Here is a doe I took down at 100 yards with a M1858 enfield. Barrel is a whittaker 1:72 .577 mounted on a Nepalese lock and stock basket case (awesome trigger). I shoot a moose wilkinson sized to .576 over 70 grains of 3f Goex.

B-Davis
12-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Mike Lynch, my mail box is empy now,
Bryan